Mar 5, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
Bubble team: Buffalo Sabres
Where they stand: 11th in the East, two points back of eighth-place Winnipeg.
Games remaining: 17
SportsClubStats.com says: 14.1% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
They’re getting hot at the right time. The Sabres defeated Vancouver Saturday to improve their record to 6-0-1 in their last seven games. Goalie Ryan Miller has been brilliant during that stretch and was just named the NHL’s first star of the week. On paper, Buffalo is a playoff team. It’s battled injuries all season, but is healthy now.
Why they won’t:
A tough schedule that includes two trips to Boston and one to Madison Square Garden.
“We’re battling hard to get back in the picture. When you can beat a team that’s basically the first-place team in the league, it’s a big plus.” – coach Lindy Ruff after Saturday’s 5-3 victory over the Canucks.
Biggest game coming up:
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)