Mar 5, 2012, 6:02 PM EDT
The first transaction of the Randy Carlyle era is in the books: Toronto has recalled Jay Rosehill from the AHL Marlies.
Rosehill has been a bit player with the Leafs this year — he’s appeared in 16 games, averaging 5:52 of ice time — spending most of his time in the minors. And it’s in the minors where Rosehill first gained infamy, fighting 33 times during the 2008-09 season with the Norfolk Admirals.
Later, he gained some big-league notoriety with scraps against Francis Lessard and Brian McGrattan:
As you can see, Rosehill likes to throw ’em — something that clearly played a role in Monday’s recall.
“Rosie’s obviously an aggressive player, a big guy, who has to be a physical force, has to be an energy player, has to defend teammates if that’s called upon,” Carlyle told the National Post. “Whether he’ll play or not, I haven’t really decided. But we always want to make sure that we have that comfort for our skilled players.”
This might seem like an innocuous roster move, but there’s something more to it.
In discussing recently-fired head coach Ron Wilson, Leafs GM Brian Burke made it clear there was a difference in opinion on how much toughness the Leafs were icing on a regular basis.
“I think if there’s one philosophical commitment that Randy and I share it’s I like a rough team,” Burke said. “And I think if you can point to one thing where Ron and I were on a different page slightly would be that. I like it a little rougher than Ron does.
“But that’s the only part that we disagreed on. Ronnie likes tough players if they can play too. But with Randy, he’s hard on the players, he’s demanding, that’s what I want.”
Burke and Carlyle, you’ll recall, were at the helm of Anaheim’s rough-and-tumble 2007 Stanley Cup team that featured the likes of George Parros, Shawn Thornton, Shane O’Brien, Travis Moen, Sean O’Donnell, Brad May and Todd Fedoruk.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 10
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 107
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (107)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)