Jamal Mayers, recently called “the most useless player in the league,” has saved the Chicago power play
Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Expectedly, Mayers took offense to Strachan’s claim…by ripping him on Twitter.
Unexpectedly, Mayers proved Strachan wrong…by igniting Chicago’s anemic power play.
Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Mayers has been on the ice for every ‘Hawks power-play goal — three in the last four games — since moving to the first unit against Anaheim last Sunday.
That’s a big deal, because prior to scoring against the Ducks, Chicago was 0-for-39 with the man advantage.
Yeah. Scoreless in 39 attempts. Pretty bad.
Following the Ducks game, Mayers registered a PP assist in a 2-1 win over Ottawa and provided a great screen on Patrick Sharp‘s PP tally in yesterday’s 2-1 win over Detroit. The unlikely promotion to the first unit — Mayers averages all of nine power-play seconds per game this year — make ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville look like a genius.
‘‘That’s the type of goal we have to score,’’ Quenneville said of Mayers’ screen. ‘‘You don’t want to look for pretty plays. Let’s get pucks and traffic and get a nice bounce here or there.’’
Mayers humbly explained how he revived Chicago’s flatlined PP.
‘‘If I can go in there, get in front of the net, create some havoc, score some goals and win the games, that’s what I want to do,’’ he said.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)