Jamal Mayers, recently called “the most useless player in the league,” has saved the Chicago power play
Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Expectedly, Mayers took offense to Strachan’s claim…by ripping him on Twitter.
Unexpectedly, Mayers proved Strachan wrong…by igniting Chicago’s anemic power play.
Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Mayers has been on the ice for every ‘Hawks power-play goal — three in the last four games — since moving to the first unit against Anaheim last Sunday.
That’s a big deal, because prior to scoring against the Ducks, Chicago was 0-for-39 with the man advantage.
Yeah. Scoreless in 39 attempts. Pretty bad.
Following the Ducks game, Mayers registered a PP assist in a 2-1 win over Ottawa and provided a great screen on Patrick Sharp‘s PP tally in yesterday’s 2-1 win over Detroit. The unlikely promotion to the first unit — Mayers averages all of nine power-play seconds per game this year — make ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville look like a genius.
‘‘That’s the type of goal we have to score,’’ Quenneville said of Mayers’ screen. ‘‘You don’t want to look for pretty plays. Let’s get pucks and traffic and get a nice bounce here or there.’’
Mayers humbly explained how he revived Chicago’s flatlined PP.
‘‘If I can go in there, get in front of the net, create some havoc, score some goals and win the games, that’s what I want to do,’’ he said.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)