Jamal Mayers, recently called “the most useless player in the league,” has saved the Chicago power play
Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Expectedly, Mayers took offense to Strachan’s claim…by ripping him on Twitter.
Unexpectedly, Mayers proved Strachan wrong…by igniting Chicago’s anemic power play.
Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Mayers has been on the ice for every ‘Hawks power-play goal — three in the last four games — since moving to the first unit against Anaheim last Sunday.
That’s a big deal, because prior to scoring against the Ducks, Chicago was 0-for-39 with the man advantage.
Yeah. Scoreless in 39 attempts. Pretty bad.
Following the Ducks game, Mayers registered a PP assist in a 2-1 win over Ottawa and provided a great screen on Patrick Sharp‘s PP tally in yesterday’s 2-1 win over Detroit. The unlikely promotion to the first unit — Mayers averages all of nine power-play seconds per game this year — make ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville look like a genius.
‘‘That’s the type of goal we have to score,’’ Quenneville said of Mayers’ screen. ‘‘You don’t want to look for pretty plays. Let’s get pucks and traffic and get a nice bounce here or there.’’
Mayers humbly explained how he revived Chicago’s flatlined PP.
‘‘If I can go in there, get in front of the net, create some havoc, score some goals and win the games, that’s what I want to do,’’ he said.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 12
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)