Jamal Mayers, recently called “the most useless player in the league,” has saved the Chicago power play
Mar 5, 2012, 12:52 PM EDT
Expectedly, Mayers took offense to Strachan’s claim…by ripping him on Twitter.
Unexpectedly, Mayers proved Strachan wrong…by igniting Chicago’s anemic power play.
Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Mayers has been on the ice for every ‘Hawks power-play goal — three in the last four games — since moving to the first unit against Anaheim last Sunday.
That’s a big deal, because prior to scoring against the Ducks, Chicago was 0-for-39 with the man advantage.
Yeah. Scoreless in 39 attempts. Pretty bad.
Following the Ducks game, Mayers registered a PP assist in a 2-1 win over Ottawa and provided a great screen on Patrick Sharp‘s PP tally in yesterday’s 2-1 win over Detroit. The unlikely promotion to the first unit — Mayers averages all of nine power-play seconds per game this year — make ‘Hawks head coach Joel Quenneville look like a genius.
‘‘That’s the type of goal we have to score,’’ Quenneville said of Mayers’ screen. ‘‘You don’t want to look for pretty plays. Let’s get pucks and traffic and get a nice bounce here or there.’’
Mayers humbly explained how he revived Chicago’s flatlined PP.
‘‘If I can go in there, get in front of the net, create some havoc, score some goals and win the games, that’s what I want to do,’’ he said.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 26
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)