Mar 5, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Don Cherry thinks it’s only a matter of time until an NHL franchise is calling Saskatoon home.
“I really believe they’re going to get it. Quebec’s going to get one too, there’s no doubt about that,” Cherry told the prairie city’s News Talk 650 today.
“If you can get 16,000 people to squeeze in around in there in boxes and the whole deal, well Winnipeg is doing it so why couldn’t Saskatoon do it?”
Added Grapes: “You’ve got a beautiful building there…everything’s going for you, I’ll tell you that.”
For what’s it worth, I’m still skeptical. Saskatoon is considerably smaller than Winnipeg. And take it from someone who’s seen a game there, the Credit Union Centre may be “a beautiful building” in that it’s a great place to watch hockey, but it’s not even close to NHL caliber. Maybe it could be renovated to meet NHL standards, but it wouldn’t be cheap.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 5
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 20
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 26
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20