Mar 5, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Don Cherry thinks it’s only a matter of time until an NHL franchise is calling Saskatoon home.
“I really believe they’re going to get it. Quebec’s going to get one too, there’s no doubt about that,” Cherry told the prairie city’s News Talk 650 today.
“If you can get 16,000 people to squeeze in around in there in boxes and the whole deal, well Winnipeg is doing it so why couldn’t Saskatoon do it?”
Added Grapes: “You’ve got a beautiful building there…everything’s going for you, I’ll tell you that.”
For what’s it worth, I’m still skeptical. Saskatoon is considerably smaller than Winnipeg. And take it from someone who’s seen a game there, the Credit Union Centre may be “a beautiful building” in that it’s a great place to watch hockey, but it’s not even close to NHL caliber. Maybe it could be renovated to meet NHL standards, but it wouldn’t be cheap.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38