Mar 5, 2012, 7:06 PM EST
Don Cherry thinks it’s only a matter of time until an NHL franchise is calling Saskatoon home.
“I really believe they’re going to get it. Quebec’s going to get one too, there’s no doubt about that,” Cherry told the prairie city’s News Talk 650 today.
“If you can get 16,000 people to squeeze in around in there in boxes and the whole deal, well Winnipeg is doing it so why couldn’t Saskatoon do it?”
Added Grapes: “You’ve got a beautiful building there…everything’s going for you, I’ll tell you that.”
For what’s it worth, I’m still skeptical. Saskatoon is considerably smaller than Winnipeg. And take it from someone who’s seen a game there, the Credit Union Centre may be “a beautiful building” in that it’s a great place to watch hockey, but it’s not even close to NHL caliber. Maybe it could be renovated to meet NHL standards, but it wouldn’t be cheap.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 18
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)