Mar 5, 2012, 7:06 PM EDT
Don Cherry thinks it’s only a matter of time until an NHL franchise is calling Saskatoon home.
“I really believe they’re going to get it. Quebec’s going to get one too, there’s no doubt about that,” Cherry told the prairie city’s News Talk 650 today.
“If you can get 16,000 people to squeeze in around in there in boxes and the whole deal, well Winnipeg is doing it so why couldn’t Saskatoon do it?”
Added Grapes: “You’ve got a beautiful building there…everything’s going for you, I’ll tell you that.”
For what’s it worth, I’m still skeptical. Saskatoon is considerably smaller than Winnipeg. And take it from someone who’s seen a game there, the Credit Union Centre may be “a beautiful building” in that it’s a great place to watch hockey, but it’s not even close to NHL caliber. Maybe it could be renovated to meet NHL standards, but it wouldn’t be cheap.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)