Mar 5, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Backstrom, 24, has been out of the Caps lineup since Jan. 3 after being elbowed in the head by then-Calgary forward Rene Bourque. Backstrom’s missed the last 27 games as a result and now, according to a Google-translated version of Swedish newspaper Expressen, he’s currently in his homeland seeking treatment.
While the Caps haven’t commented on the Expressen report, they have confirmed Backstrom’s currently in Sweden — but to spend time with his family, not seek medical advice. (The Caps had a similar situation last year when they allowed concussed defenseman Mike Green to leave the team.)
More, from The Post:
Last month when he met with reporters in Washington, Backstrom said it has been tough for him to come to the practice facility regularly yet not have any indication of when he might skate or play again.
Backstrom has been in Sweden for a little more than a week already and is not expected to return until Sunday.
Last season, when Mike Green was sidelined with a concussion, he too was given the opportunity to get away from the daily hockey grind and return home.
The Caps have struggled mightily since losing Backstrom, who was their leading scorer. They’ve gone 11-13-3 without him in the lineup, falling to ninth place in the Eastern Conference.
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 30
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 71
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (71)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)