Mar 5, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
Backstrom, 24, has been out of the Caps lineup since Jan. 3 after being elbowed in the head by then-Calgary forward Rene Bourque. Backstrom’s missed the last 27 games as a result and now, according to a Google-translated version of Swedish newspaper Expressen, he’s currently in his homeland seeking treatment.
While the Caps haven’t commented on the Expressen report, they have confirmed Backstrom’s currently in Sweden — but to spend time with his family, not seek medical advice. (The Caps had a similar situation last year when they allowed concussed defenseman Mike Green to leave the team.)
More, from The Post:
Last month when he met with reporters in Washington, Backstrom said it has been tough for him to come to the practice facility regularly yet not have any indication of when he might skate or play again.
Backstrom has been in Sweden for a little more than a week already and is not expected to return until Sunday.
Last season, when Mike Green was sidelined with a concussion, he too was given the opportunity to get away from the daily hockey grind and return home.
The Caps have struggled mightily since losing Backstrom, who was their leading scorer. They’ve gone 11-13-3 without him in the lineup, falling to ninth place in the Eastern Conference.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 17
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)