Mar 5, 2012, 7:23 PM EDT
If Tuukka Rask is going to make a further impact for the Boston Bruins this season, it will likely be if Tim Thomas falters in the playoffs. Boston announced that Rask will miss anywhere between four and six weeks with a groin injury/abdominal strain suffered while making a save this weekend.
This development is an even bigger bummer than usual for both parties.
From the Bruins’ perspective, they’ll likely need to lean on Thomas more than they might like going down the stretch. Boston still has a three-point lead and three games in hand on the Ottawa Senators for the Northeast Division title, but that gap could close rapidly if they need to turn to Michael Hutchinson or some other green backup to keep their 37-year-old star fresh going into the playoffs.
Update: the Bruins decided to be proactive as far as Thomas’ freshness by signing Marty Turco, who will join the team as long as he clears waivers. Rask won’t have to look over his shoulder, either, because Turco wont be eligible for playoff play.
Rask’s loss isn’t just in the starts he would receive. As a pending restricted free agent going into this summer, he might not get a chance to boost his numbers that much more.
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 0
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)