Mar 5, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Andrei Markov‘s recovery from knee problems the last two years has been rough to say the least. Markov hasn’t played in a game yet this season and has been out of action since November 2010.
You can imagine the surprise of Montreal fans this morning upon hearing that Markov has not only been cleared for contact but was practicing alongside Alexei Emelin.
Francois Gagnon in Montreal reports that Markov will be on the road trip with the Canadiens across Western Canada but does not have a date picked out for when he’ll be back. Markov told reporters, however, that he believes he’ll play this season. That’s a gutsy sentiment for a guy that hasn’t been able to play for over a season and a half.
With the Canadiens being virtually out of the hunt for the playoffs and sitting dead last in the Eastern Conference, you have to wonder about what the motivation is to get Markov back out on the ice is. After that much time off, getting back into a game comes with the risk of getting re-injured, especially when dealing with teams who have a dog left in the fight for the postseason.
Writing things off as a lost cause and letting Markov start with a blank slate next season wouldn’t be the worst idea.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)