Mar 5, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
Andrei Markov‘s recovery from knee problems the last two years has been rough to say the least. Markov hasn’t played in a game yet this season and has been out of action since November 2010.
You can imagine the surprise of Montreal fans this morning upon hearing that Markov has not only been cleared for contact but was practicing alongside Alexei Emelin.
Francois Gagnon in Montreal reports that Markov will be on the road trip with the Canadiens across Western Canada but does not have a date picked out for when he’ll be back. Markov told reporters, however, that he believes he’ll play this season. That’s a gutsy sentiment for a guy that hasn’t been able to play for over a season and a half.
With the Canadiens being virtually out of the hunt for the playoffs and sitting dead last in the Eastern Conference, you have to wonder about what the motivation is to get Markov back out on the ice is. After that much time off, getting back into a game comes with the risk of getting re-injured, especially when dealing with teams who have a dog left in the fight for the postseason.
Writing things off as a lost cause and letting Markov start with a blank slate next season wouldn’t be the worst idea.
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)