Mar 4, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
Zach Parise doesn’t think he broke his hand while blocking a shot during Sunday’s game. At least, he hopes he didn’t. All the same, Parise would be justified if he was concerned when he discovered after Sunday’s 1-0 loss that he couldn’t use his hand.
Parise hasn’t gotten X-rays yet, so for now we can only guess at the extent of the damage. It’s fair to say that any significant injury at this stage of the season would be especially devastating for New Jersey. The Devils are still in the running for the fourth seed in the Eastern Conference, but they could realistically slip all the way down to seventh or perhaps even lower if they struggle in March. Parise got off to a slow start this season, but he’s now the team’s leading goal scorer.
Washington’s Brooks Laich’s stick struck Parise in the face during Friday’s contest, but fortunately that incident did not result in a major injury. We’ll see if his luck holds.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)