Mar 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
It hasn’t been an easy year for Travis Zajac. He’s played in just eight games this year after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. While he was able to come back from that, it was too much for him too soon and his season was put in jeopardy.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer, however, is feeling confident that the team’s top center will return this season, but don’t you dare ask him if he’s close to coming back. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger found out the hard way.
“Did I say close? I said on the horizon,” DeBoer specificed. “I don’t want to put a date on it but he’s making very good progress and I think we’re all confident he’ll be back. The only time frame I’ll put on it is he’ll be back and he’ll play for us again this year.”
As it is, the Devils have been doing just fine with Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias playing up the middle. Having a healthy Zajac, however, would help make the Devils that much tougher to deal with in the playoffs.
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 1
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 6
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)