Mar 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
It hasn’t been an easy year for Travis Zajac. He’s played in just eight games this year after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. While he was able to come back from that, it was too much for him too soon and his season was put in jeopardy.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer, however, is feeling confident that the team’s top center will return this season, but don’t you dare ask him if he’s close to coming back. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger found out the hard way.
“Did I say close? I said on the horizon,” DeBoer specificed. “I don’t want to put a date on it but he’s making very good progress and I think we’re all confident he’ll be back. The only time frame I’ll put on it is he’ll be back and he’ll play for us again this year.”
As it is, the Devils have been doing just fine with Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias playing up the middle. Having a healthy Zajac, however, would help make the Devils that much tougher to deal with in the playoffs.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)