Mar 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
It hasn’t been an easy year for Travis Zajac. He’s played in just eight games this year after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. While he was able to come back from that, it was too much for him too soon and his season was put in jeopardy.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer, however, is feeling confident that the team’s top center will return this season, but don’t you dare ask him if he’s close to coming back. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger found out the hard way.
“Did I say close? I said on the horizon,” DeBoer specificed. “I don’t want to put a date on it but he’s making very good progress and I think we’re all confident he’ll be back. The only time frame I’ll put on it is he’ll be back and he’ll play for us again this year.”
As it is, the Devils have been doing just fine with Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias playing up the middle. Having a healthy Zajac, however, would help make the Devils that much tougher to deal with in the playoffs.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)