Mar 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EST
It hasn’t been an easy year for Travis Zajac. He’s played in just eight games this year after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. While he was able to come back from that, it was too much for him too soon and his season was put in jeopardy.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer, however, is feeling confident that the team’s top center will return this season, but don’t you dare ask him if he’s close to coming back. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger found out the hard way.
“Did I say close? I said on the horizon,” DeBoer specificed. “I don’t want to put a date on it but he’s making very good progress and I think we’re all confident he’ll be back. The only time frame I’ll put on it is he’ll be back and he’ll play for us again this year.”
As it is, the Devils have been doing just fine with Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias playing up the middle. Having a healthy Zajac, however, would help make the Devils that much tougher to deal with in the playoffs.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)