Mar 4, 2012, 1:59 PM EDT
It hasn’t been an easy year for Travis Zajac. He’s played in just eight games this year after suffering a torn Achilles tendon. While he was able to come back from that, it was too much for him too soon and his season was put in jeopardy.
Devils coach Peter DeBoer, however, is feeling confident that the team’s top center will return this season, but don’t you dare ask him if he’s close to coming back. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger found out the hard way.
“Did I say close? I said on the horizon,” DeBoer specificed. “I don’t want to put a date on it but he’s making very good progress and I think we’re all confident he’ll be back. The only time frame I’ll put on it is he’ll be back and he’ll play for us again this year.”
As it is, the Devils have been doing just fine with Adam Henrique and Patrik Elias playing up the middle. Having a healthy Zajac, however, would help make the Devils that much tougher to deal with in the playoffs.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)