Mar 4, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
With the Red Wings taking on the Blackhawks this afternoon in Detroit, that means extra pressure to win. For the Red Wings, that got a lot tougher when Jimmy Howard came out of the game after the first period.
According to Red Wings GM Ken Holland, Howard left the game with what they’re calling a lower-body injury and is listed as day-to-day. That initial diagnosis from the Wings is a bit more worrisome as it’s not related to the broken finger Howard had that kept him out of action for a few weeks.
Joey MacDonald took over for Howard at the start of the second and should he miss any extended time, he’ll be the guy that leads them in goal. If Howard is out for an extended time, Ty Conklin could get called back up from the AHL but would have to clear waivers to do it. Goalies Jordan Pearce or Thomas McCollum would not have to clear waivers and could be other options for Detroit.
Adding to the pain, defenseman Jakub Kindl also left the game with an upper-body injury.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 8
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)