Mar 4, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
With the Red Wings taking on the Blackhawks this afternoon in Detroit, that means extra pressure to win. For the Red Wings, that got a lot tougher when Jimmy Howard came out of the game after the first period.
According to Red Wings GM Ken Holland, Howard left the game with what they’re calling a lower-body injury and is listed as day-to-day. That initial diagnosis from the Wings is a bit more worrisome as it’s not related to the broken finger Howard had that kept him out of action for a few weeks.
Joey MacDonald took over for Howard at the start of the second and should he miss any extended time, he’ll be the guy that leads them in goal. If Howard is out for an extended time, Ty Conklin could get called back up from the AHL but would have to clear waivers to do it. Goalies Jordan Pearce or Thomas McCollum would not have to clear waivers and could be other options for Detroit.
Adding to the pain, defenseman Jakub Kindl also left the game with an upper-body injury.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)