Mar 4, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
With the Red Wings taking on the Blackhawks this afternoon in Detroit, that means extra pressure to win. For the Red Wings, that got a lot tougher when Jimmy Howard came out of the game after the first period.
According to Red Wings GM Ken Holland, Howard left the game with what they’re calling a lower-body injury and is listed as day-to-day. That initial diagnosis from the Wings is a bit more worrisome as it’s not related to the broken finger Howard had that kept him out of action for a few weeks.
Joey MacDonald took over for Howard at the start of the second and should he miss any extended time, he’ll be the guy that leads them in goal. If Howard is out for an extended time, Ty Conklin could get called back up from the AHL but would have to clear waivers to do it. Goalies Jordan Pearce or Thomas McCollum would not have to clear waivers and could be other options for Detroit.
Adding to the pain, defenseman Jakub Kindl also left the game with an upper-body injury.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)