Mar 4, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
With the Red Wings taking on the Blackhawks this afternoon in Detroit, that means extra pressure to win. For the Red Wings, that got a lot tougher when Jimmy Howard came out of the game after the first period.
According to Red Wings GM Ken Holland, Howard left the game with what they’re calling a lower-body injury and is listed as day-to-day. That initial diagnosis from the Wings is a bit more worrisome as it’s not related to the broken finger Howard had that kept him out of action for a few weeks.
Joey MacDonald took over for Howard at the start of the second and should he miss any extended time, he’ll be the guy that leads them in goal. If Howard is out for an extended time, Ty Conklin could get called back up from the AHL but would have to clear waivers to do it. Goalies Jordan Pearce or Thomas McCollum would not have to clear waivers and could be other options for Detroit.
Adding to the pain, defenseman Jakub Kindl also left the game with an upper-body injury.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53