Mar 4, 2012, 4:54 PM EST
Things haven’t been good for the Canadiens this year. They’re last in the Eastern Conference and even had an unfortunate incident during last night’s 3-1 loss to Toronto that saw a fan fall from the stands. That misery and the accident happened to spark a thought in the mind of Montreal Gazette writer Dave Stubbs.
The Habs are playing things out this season as if it was a Monty Python sketch. In Stubbs’ opinion, it’s like the Accountant sketch.
The Canadiens said nothing like this had ever happened in the 16-year history of the Bell Centre.
With the arena darkened for the scoreboard introduction of the home team, arena staff and medical personnel efficiently swarmed the accident area, bathed in a surreal spotlight. They evacuated the victims, one transported to hospital with injuries the team later described as not serious, the other treated on site before returning to watch the game.
At which point the sky fell on the Canadiens, their NHL winning streak and run of impressive games against the Maple Leafs both grinding to a halt at one.
It’s safe to say the Habs are toast. They’re 10 points back of Winnipeg in the East and after another miserable loss, the fans are even disheartened on top of it. Having a laugh at their expense is just what their rivals are having, but that kind of comedy doesn’t work well in Montreal.
The fans might be better off watching some Monty Python instead.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)