Mar 4, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Things haven’t been good for the Canadiens this year. They’re last in the Eastern Conference and even had an unfortunate incident during last night’s 3-1 loss to Toronto that saw a fan fall from the stands. That misery and the accident happened to spark a thought in the mind of Montreal Gazette writer Dave Stubbs.
The Habs are playing things out this season as if it was a Monty Python sketch. In Stubbs’ opinion, it’s like the Accountant sketch.
The Canadiens said nothing like this had ever happened in the 16-year history of the Bell Centre.
With the arena darkened for the scoreboard introduction of the home team, arena staff and medical personnel efficiently swarmed the accident area, bathed in a surreal spotlight. They evacuated the victims, one transported to hospital with injuries the team later described as not serious, the other treated on site before returning to watch the game.
At which point the sky fell on the Canadiens, their NHL winning streak and run of impressive games against the Maple Leafs both grinding to a halt at one.
It’s safe to say the Habs are toast. They’re 10 points back of Winnipeg in the East and after another miserable loss, the fans are even disheartened on top of it. Having a laugh at their expense is just what their rivals are having, but that kind of comedy doesn’t work well in Montreal.
The fans might be better off watching some Monty Python instead.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 0
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 7
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 10
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)