Mar 4, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Things haven’t been good for the Canadiens this year. They’re last in the Eastern Conference and even had an unfortunate incident during last night’s 3-1 loss to Toronto that saw a fan fall from the stands. That misery and the accident happened to spark a thought in the mind of Montreal Gazette writer Dave Stubbs.
The Habs are playing things out this season as if it was a Monty Python sketch. In Stubbs’ opinion, it’s like the Accountant sketch.
The Canadiens said nothing like this had ever happened in the 16-year history of the Bell Centre.
With the arena darkened for the scoreboard introduction of the home team, arena staff and medical personnel efficiently swarmed the accident area, bathed in a surreal spotlight. They evacuated the victims, one transported to hospital with injuries the team later described as not serious, the other treated on site before returning to watch the game.
At which point the sky fell on the Canadiens, their NHL winning streak and run of impressive games against the Maple Leafs both grinding to a halt at one.
It’s safe to say the Habs are toast. They’re 10 points back of Winnipeg in the East and after another miserable loss, the fans are even disheartened on top of it. Having a laugh at their expense is just what their rivals are having, but that kind of comedy doesn’t work well in Montreal.
The fans might be better off watching some Monty Python instead.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)