Mar 4, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Things haven’t been good for the Canadiens this year. They’re last in the Eastern Conference and even had an unfortunate incident during last night’s 3-1 loss to Toronto that saw a fan fall from the stands. That misery and the accident happened to spark a thought in the mind of Montreal Gazette writer Dave Stubbs.
The Habs are playing things out this season as if it was a Monty Python sketch. In Stubbs’ opinion, it’s like the Accountant sketch.
The Canadiens said nothing like this had ever happened in the 16-year history of the Bell Centre.
With the arena darkened for the scoreboard introduction of the home team, arena staff and medical personnel efficiently swarmed the accident area, bathed in a surreal spotlight. They evacuated the victims, one transported to hospital with injuries the team later described as not serious, the other treated on site before returning to watch the game.
At which point the sky fell on the Canadiens, their NHL winning streak and run of impressive games against the Maple Leafs both grinding to a halt at one.
It’s safe to say the Habs are toast. They’re 10 points back of Winnipeg in the East and after another miserable loss, the fans are even disheartened on top of it. Having a laugh at their expense is just what their rivals are having, but that kind of comedy doesn’t work well in Montreal.
The fans might be better off watching some Monty Python instead.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 10
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Bruins rookies have been the x-factor
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil