Mar 4, 2012, 4:54 PM EDT
Things haven’t been good for the Canadiens this year. They’re last in the Eastern Conference and even had an unfortunate incident during last night’s 3-1 loss to Toronto that saw a fan fall from the stands. That misery and the accident happened to spark a thought in the mind of Montreal Gazette writer Dave Stubbs.
The Habs are playing things out this season as if it was a Monty Python sketch. In Stubbs’ opinion, it’s like the Accountant sketch.
The Canadiens said nothing like this had ever happened in the 16-year history of the Bell Centre.
With the arena darkened for the scoreboard introduction of the home team, arena staff and medical personnel efficiently swarmed the accident area, bathed in a surreal spotlight. They evacuated the victims, one transported to hospital with injuries the team later described as not serious, the other treated on site before returning to watch the game.
At which point the sky fell on the Canadiens, their NHL winning streak and run of impressive games against the Maple Leafs both grinding to a halt at one.
It’s safe to say the Habs are toast. They’re 10 points back of Winnipeg in the East and after another miserable loss, the fans are even disheartened on top of it. Having a laugh at their expense is just what their rivals are having, but that kind of comedy doesn’t work well in Montreal.
The fans might be better off watching some Monty Python instead.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)