Mar 4, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
How does a goaltender earn the first star of a game after allowing 13 goals? Well, it helps if you’re normally a forward.
There have been times in the NHL where an injury to a goaltender prior to the start of a game has forced a team to take extraordinary steps so that their team still had a backup goaltender in case the worst happened. For example, back in November, the Minnesota Wild inked 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an amateur try-out contract because Niklas Backstrom was unavailable. But for the Wild, that’s where the story ended, because Deutsch never actually had to play between the pipes. The OHL Erie Otters were not so lucky on Sunday.
With their normal backup goaltender unavailable before the game began, the Erie Otters were forced to list forward Connor Crisp, who had been sidelined all season because of a shoulder injury, as their number two netminder. However, starting goaltender Ramis Sadikov lasted a mere 1:45 minutes before the Otters had to resort to their worst case scenario: put Crisp in goal.
Crisp put on Sadikov’s skates, which were “three times too small and not wide enough” and did his best to block shots. All things considered, it actually might have gone a bit better than expected. Crisp faced a staggering 45 shots and his team ended up losing 13-4 to the Niagara IceDogs. However, he won over the IceDogs fans, who gave the 17-year-old a standing ovation following the game.
“It was appreciated so much — beyond words,” said Crisp. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was today.”
Crisp is eligible to be selected during the 2012 NHL entry draft, although we think it’s safe to say teams won’t be looking at him as a goaltender.
(Photo from ontariohockeyleague.com)
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)