Mar 4, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
How does a goaltender earn the first star of a game after allowing 13 goals? Well, it helps if you’re normally a forward.
There have been times in the NHL where an injury to a goaltender prior to the start of a game has forced a team to take extraordinary steps so that their team still had a backup goaltender in case the worst happened. For example, back in November, the Minnesota Wild inked 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an amateur try-out contract because Niklas Backstrom was unavailable. But for the Wild, that’s where the story ended, because Deutsch never actually had to play between the pipes. The OHL Erie Otters were not so lucky on Sunday.
With their normal backup goaltender unavailable before the game began, the Erie Otters were forced to list forward Connor Crisp, who had been sidelined all season because of a shoulder injury, as their number two netminder. However, starting goaltender Ramis Sadikov lasted a mere 1:45 minutes before the Otters had to resort to their worst case scenario: put Crisp in goal.
Crisp put on Sadikov’s skates, which were “three times too small and not wide enough” and did his best to block shots. All things considered, it actually might have gone a bit better than expected. Crisp faced a staggering 45 shots and his team ended up losing 13-4 to the Niagara IceDogs. However, he won over the IceDogs fans, who gave the 17-year-old a standing ovation following the game.
“It was appreciated so much — beyond words,” said Crisp. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was today.”
Crisp is eligible to be selected during the 2012 NHL entry draft, although we think it’s safe to say teams won’t be looking at him as a goaltender.
(Photo from ontariohockeyleague.com)
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (46)