Mar 4, 2012, 10:55 PM EST
How does a goaltender earn the first star of a game after allowing 13 goals? Well, it helps if you’re normally a forward.
There have been times in the NHL where an injury to a goaltender prior to the start of a game has forced a team to take extraordinary steps so that their team still had a backup goaltender in case the worst happened. For example, back in November, the Minnesota Wild inked 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an amateur try-out contract because Niklas Backstrom was unavailable. But for the Wild, that’s where the story ended, because Deutsch never actually had to play between the pipes. The OHL Erie Otters were not so lucky on Sunday.
With their normal backup goaltender unavailable before the game began, the Erie Otters were forced to list forward Connor Crisp, who had been sidelined all season because of a shoulder injury, as their number two netminder. However, starting goaltender Ramis Sadikov lasted a mere 1:45 minutes before the Otters had to resort to their worst case scenario: put Crisp in goal.
Crisp put on Sadikov’s skates, which were “three times too small and not wide enough” and did his best to block shots. All things considered, it actually might have gone a bit better than expected. Crisp faced a staggering 45 shots and his team ended up losing 13-4 to the Niagara IceDogs. However, he won over the IceDogs fans, who gave the 17-year-old a standing ovation following the game.
“It was appreciated so much — beyond words,” said Crisp. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was today.”
Crisp is eligible to be selected during the 2012 NHL entry draft, although we think it’s safe to say teams won’t be looking at him as a goaltender.
(Photo from ontariohockeyleague.com)
Dec 20, 2013, 1:19 AM EST
Patrick Marleau spoiled it.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:30 PM EST
The Kings captain was suspended in April.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
Not slacking off following that contract extension.
Dec 19, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Toronto won 2-1 (SO).
Dec 19, 2013, 10:48 PM EST
His Goal of the Year entry …
Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
They beat Calgary 3-2 in OT.
Dec 19, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
Mike Yeo on Minnesota: “We stunk.”
Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Maybe not an ideal trade-off.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
The Blue Jackets with a rare blown third period lead.
Dec 19, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Tough break for Z-Bad.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
He might have suffered it blocking a shot.
Dec 19, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
It would be a sixth-rounder in 2014.
Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
Phoenix is still pretty banged up, though.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
George McPhee’s also glad Brayden Schenn isn’t injured.
Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
He drew criticism for hitting Brayden Schenn Tuesday.
Dec 19, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Dec 19, 2013, 5:13 PM EST
Is there a lack of respect among players in the NHL?
Dec 19, 2013, 5:09 PM EST
USA versus Russia on Feb. 15 (7:30 a.m. ET, on NBCSN).
Dec 19, 2013, 4:33 PM EST
Weather forecast is looking good.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)