Mar 4, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
How does a goaltender earn the first star of a game after allowing 13 goals? Well, it helps if you’re normally a forward.
There have been times in the NHL where an injury to a goaltender prior to the start of a game has forced a team to take extraordinary steps so that their team still had a backup goaltender in case the worst happened. For example, back in November, the Minnesota Wild inked 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an amateur try-out contract because Niklas Backstrom was unavailable. But for the Wild, that’s where the story ended, because Deutsch never actually had to play between the pipes. The OHL Erie Otters were not so lucky on Sunday.
With their normal backup goaltender unavailable before the game began, the Erie Otters were forced to list forward Connor Crisp, who had been sidelined all season because of a shoulder injury, as their number two netminder. However, starting goaltender Ramis Sadikov lasted a mere 1:45 minutes before the Otters had to resort to their worst case scenario: put Crisp in goal.
Crisp put on Sadikov’s skates, which were “three times too small and not wide enough” and did his best to block shots. All things considered, it actually might have gone a bit better than expected. Crisp faced a staggering 45 shots and his team ended up losing 13-4 to the Niagara IceDogs. However, he won over the IceDogs fans, who gave the 17-year-old a standing ovation following the game.
“It was appreciated so much — beyond words,” said Crisp. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was today.”
Crisp is eligible to be selected during the 2012 NHL entry draft, although we think it’s safe to say teams won’t be looking at him as a goaltender.
(Photo from ontariohockeyleague.com)
Oct 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
It’s no secret that they’re losing a lot of money.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Click the link to see the pictures.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
Oct 19, 2014, 4:18 PM EDT
“I’m just getting tired.”
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)