Mar 4, 2012, 10:55 PM EDT
How does a goaltender earn the first star of a game after allowing 13 goals? Well, it helps if you’re normally a forward.
There have been times in the NHL where an injury to a goaltender prior to the start of a game has forced a team to take extraordinary steps so that their team still had a backup goaltender in case the worst happened. For example, back in November, the Minnesota Wild inked 51-year-old Paul Deutsch to an amateur try-out contract because Niklas Backstrom was unavailable. But for the Wild, that’s where the story ended, because Deutsch never actually had to play between the pipes. The OHL Erie Otters were not so lucky on Sunday.
With their normal backup goaltender unavailable before the game began, the Erie Otters were forced to list forward Connor Crisp, who had been sidelined all season because of a shoulder injury, as their number two netminder. However, starting goaltender Ramis Sadikov lasted a mere 1:45 minutes before the Otters had to resort to their worst case scenario: put Crisp in goal.
Crisp put on Sadikov’s skates, which were “three times too small and not wide enough” and did his best to block shots. All things considered, it actually might have gone a bit better than expected. Crisp faced a staggering 45 shots and his team ended up losing 13-4 to the Niagara IceDogs. However, he won over the IceDogs fans, who gave the 17-year-old a standing ovation following the game.
“It was appreciated so much — beyond words,” said Crisp. “Honestly, it was embarrassing to let some of those goals in, but I think the IceDogs fans knew. I can’t say enough about how fun and classy that was today.”
Crisp is eligible to be selected during the 2012 NHL entry draft, although we think it’s safe to say teams won’t be looking at him as a goaltender.
(Photo from ontariohockeyleague.com)
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.
Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)