Uh oh: Tuukka Rask leaves game with apparent leg injury

Mar 3, 2012, 2:49 PM EST

Tuukka Rask AP

With the Bruins virtually guaranteed of making the playoffs and being a top-three seed in the Eastern Conference, keeping Tim Thomas fresh for the postseason is important for Boston. That’ll be a bit tougher to do with Tuukka Rask injured.

Rask left this afternoon’s game against the Islanders in the second period after awkwardly going into the splits to make a save. After making the stop, Rask fell to his back tossing off his gear to get a whistle. Rask was helped off the ice by his teammates while not putting any pressure on his left leg. Rask had his left knee scoped over the summer. Thomas had today off as he was slated to get the start tomorrow afternoon against the Rangers on NBC (12:30 p.m. ET).

If Rask is hurt long-term, the Bruins have some health worries with their goalies in the AHL. The guy who would be first up, Anton Khudobin, is out with an upper-body injury and his backup, Michael Hutchinson, is out sick. That leaves ECHL call-ups Adam Courchaine and Karel St. Laurent as the healthy goalies in the minors.

With four more sets of back-to-back games, the Bruins will need a backup goalie they can count on to give Thomas the rest he’ll need to carry the Bruins in the playoffs. In other words,Thomas had better be ready for a little extra work should Rask be toast.

We’ll get an update on Rask’s status as soon as it’s available out of Boston.

Update: The Bruins are calling up Hutchinson to be Thomas’ backup for the time being. The Bruins will update Rask’s condition tomorrow. Rask will not be joining the Bruins on their two-game road trip.

1. AppealToReason - Mar 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

So a LEFT leg injury you say will cause Thomas to work more?

• brian32556 - Mar 3, 2012 at 3:55 PM

What???

• mainevent7567 - Mar 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM

he’s making political references.

• brian32556 - Mar 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

ahh! Thank you. I forgot about Thomas’s recent political escapades.

• 8man - Mar 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Cute. I guess. Thanks mainevent, I’m still a little tired from my trek to Verizon Center last night from Baltimore to watch the listless Caps. This got by me.

A part of me does feel as if the unecessary attention drawn by Thomas’ political agenda has hurt the B’s. To me, he’s still the man, but needs to focus on what he does best, which is play between the pipes. And for the most part, I agree with Thomas, but he can run for the senate or the house when he finishes playing. For now, I just want him to stop pucks and help lead this team.

• drewsylvania - Mar 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

he’s making *a lame* political reference.

2. brian32556 - Mar 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Makes it tough down the stretch with only one quality goalie. Saw that last year when Ranger’s Biron broke his collarbone and the King played everyone of the last 26. Feels a lot different this year.

3. bcisleman - Mar 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Hey Joe, I’m an Isles fan so I have no dog in the hunt as the saying goes. OTT is only 3 points back of BOS. Now granted BOS has three in hand and I like their chances especially given their record against OTT this year, but its hardly a lock at this point.

• brian32556 - Mar 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Especially how poorly the Bruins have been playing of late.

• Joe Yerdon - Mar 3, 2012 at 5:29 PM

My thought on this is that the Bruins’ funk won’t last. I’ve been known to eat my words before though.

• brian32556 - Mar 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

@Joe Yerdon
        You might be right Joe, but people are wondering which are the real Bruins – the Oct-Jan-Feb, or the Nov-Dec? Its hard to just turn it on and off.

4. 8man - Mar 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

B’s getting banged up. Part of the game. Next man up. This is why you have farm clubs. Hopefully, it’s nothing long term for Rask and all measures viewed were precautionary as opposed to necessary.

This coupled with how snake bitten they have been lately makes things look a little gloomy. Seriously, statistically they are playing well, but they aren’t getting bounces and I’m sure every team they play wants to beat the reigning champs. This is why it’s hard to repeat. We’ll see what this group is made of.

Go Bruins!

Coaches in and out of the hot seat

Top 10 NHL Player Searches