Mar 3, 2012, 2:49 PM EDT
With the Bruins virtually guaranteed of making the playoffs and being a top-three seed in the Eastern Conference, keeping Tim Thomas fresh for the postseason is important for Boston. That’ll be a bit tougher to do with Tuukka Rask injured.
Rask left this afternoon’s game against the Islanders in the second period after awkwardly going into the splits to make a save. After making the stop, Rask fell to his back tossing off his gear to get a whistle. Rask was helped off the ice by his teammates while not putting any pressure on his left leg. Rask had his left knee scoped over the summer. Thomas had today off as he was slated to get the start tomorrow afternoon against the Rangers on NBC (12:30 p.m. ET).
If Rask is hurt long-term, the Bruins have some health worries with their goalies in the AHL. The guy who would be first up, Anton Khudobin, is out with an upper-body injury and his backup, Michael Hutchinson, is out sick. That leaves ECHL call-ups Adam Courchaine and Karel St. Laurent as the healthy goalies in the minors.
With four more sets of back-to-back games, the Bruins will need a backup goalie they can count on to give Thomas the rest he’ll need to carry the Bruins in the playoffs. In other words,Thomas had better be ready for a little extra work should Rask be toast.
We’ll get an update on Rask’s status as soon as it’s available out of Boston.
Update: The Bruins are calling up Hutchinson to be Thomas’ backup for the time being. The Bruins will update Rask’s condition tomorrow. Rask will not be joining the Bruins on their two-game road trip.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)