Mar 3, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
The Blackhawks headed into their three-game road trip hoping that captain Jonathan Toews might be able to play by the end of the run either in Detroit or St. Louis.
That won’t be the case as coach Joel Quenneville provided the update from Chicago today courtesy of CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
Jonathan Toews (concussion) is still progressing but coach Joel Quenneville said the captain will not join the Blackhawks on this road trip. Quenneville said Toews is still not skating, but “we’re seeing progress and optimistic that he’s going to be back.”
Without Toews, the Blackhawks are severely limited up the middle. Fortunately for them, Patrick Kane has taken a big liking to playing center and his teammates have been raving about how he’s doing there. Aside from Kane’s heroic play, Dave Bolland and Marcus Kruger have had to step up their games and give Chicago some stability there.
On the upside, Niklas Hjalmarsson is getting better from his concussion and is skating with the team.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)