Mar 3, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
The Blackhawks headed into their three-game road trip hoping that captain Jonathan Toews might be able to play by the end of the run either in Detroit or St. Louis.
That won’t be the case as coach Joel Quenneville provided the update from Chicago today courtesy of CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers.
Jonathan Toews (concussion) is still progressing but coach Joel Quenneville said the captain will not join the Blackhawks on this road trip. Quenneville said Toews is still not skating, but “we’re seeing progress and optimistic that he’s going to be back.”
Without Toews, the Blackhawks are severely limited up the middle. Fortunately for them, Patrick Kane has taken a big liking to playing center and his teammates have been raving about how he’s doing there. Aside from Kane’s heroic play, Dave Bolland and Marcus Kruger have had to step up their games and give Chicago some stability there.
On the upside, Niklas Hjalmarsson is getting better from his concussion and is skating with the team.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)