Mar 3, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Petr Sykora’s NHL career hasn’t been without its obstacles. However, barring a last minute injury, he will provide further proof that he overcame them when he laces up his skates on Sunday for his 1,000th career NHL game.
Sykora’s NHL career nearly ended in 2009-10 when the Minnesota Wild released him after only using him in 14 games. He spent the 2010-11 campaign in Europe and was unable to secure an NHL contract over the summer. He ended up joining the New Jersey Devils’ training camp on a tryout basis and was able to surprise coach Peter DeBoer. The Devils breathed new life into his NHL career by inking him to a one-year deal. The gamble paid off for both sides as going into Sunday’s contest, Sykora is one of six Devils players to participate in all 64 contests and he is tied for sixth on the team in goals.
Dainius Zubrus and Patrik Elias also reached the 1,000 game mark with New Jersey this season. If Sykora joins that list, the Devils will be the first team since the 2008-09 Anaheim Ducks to feature at least three players who reached that milestone.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)