Mar 3, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Petr Sykora’s NHL career hasn’t been without its obstacles. However, barring a last minute injury, he will provide further proof that he overcame them when he laces up his skates on Sunday for his 1,000th career NHL game.
Sykora’s NHL career nearly ended in 2009-10 when the Minnesota Wild released him after only using him in 14 games. He spent the 2010-11 campaign in Europe and was unable to secure an NHL contract over the summer. He ended up joining the New Jersey Devils’ training camp on a tryout basis and was able to surprise coach Peter DeBoer. The Devils breathed new life into his NHL career by inking him to a one-year deal. The gamble paid off for both sides as going into Sunday’s contest, Sykora is one of six Devils players to participate in all 64 contests and he is tied for sixth on the team in goals.
Dainius Zubrus and Patrik Elias also reached the 1,000 game mark with New Jersey this season. If Sykora joins that list, the Devils will be the first team since the 2008-09 Anaheim Ducks to feature at least three players who reached that milestone.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)