Mar 3, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Ever since Cody Hodgson was dealt from Vancouver to Buffalo, the question has been about whether or not Hodgson asked to be traded. Hodgson’s agent Ritch Winter has been saying that Hodgson never asked to be moved, albeit in confusing ways at times, and Hodgson himself seemed stunned that he was moved.
With the Sabres in Vancouver to take on the Canucks tonight, it makes for an awkward reunion and one where Hodgson had to make it very clear that what happened at the deadline was not thanks to his doing. Well, as clear as he could anyhow. John Vogl of The Buffalo News has the details.
“Like I told many guys beforehand, I was as shocked as anybody,” Hodgson said. “But I don’t want to go back. Even when I played here the whole time I never went back and thought of readdressing old issues and that kind of stuff. I just wanted to go play, and that’s what I want to do now. I’ve got a new team with Buffalo and good guys, and hopefully things will work out.”
Why would he want to go back? Aside from that whole “make a run at the Stanley Cup” thing Vancouver has going for them, Hodgson is playing in Buffalo’s top six and getting a ton of ice time (average of 17:08 in his two games).
Compare that to Vancouver where he was playing on the third line and averaging just over 12 minutes a game. Add to it that they already seem to love Hodgson in Buffalo, and it makes a ton of sense for him. Maybe now this story can fade away. All bets are off though if Hodgson scores the game-winner tonight.
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 0
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 5
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 15
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 41
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 90
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)