Mar 3, 2012, 12:59 PM EDT
Ever since Cody Hodgson was dealt from Vancouver to Buffalo, the question has been about whether or not Hodgson asked to be traded. Hodgson’s agent Ritch Winter has been saying that Hodgson never asked to be moved, albeit in confusing ways at times, and Hodgson himself seemed stunned that he was moved.
With the Sabres in Vancouver to take on the Canucks tonight, it makes for an awkward reunion and one where Hodgson had to make it very clear that what happened at the deadline was not thanks to his doing. Well, as clear as he could anyhow. John Vogl of The Buffalo News has the details.
“Like I told many guys beforehand, I was as shocked as anybody,” Hodgson said. “But I don’t want to go back. Even when I played here the whole time I never went back and thought of readdressing old issues and that kind of stuff. I just wanted to go play, and that’s what I want to do now. I’ve got a new team with Buffalo and good guys, and hopefully things will work out.”
Why would he want to go back? Aside from that whole “make a run at the Stanley Cup” thing Vancouver has going for them, Hodgson is playing in Buffalo’s top six and getting a ton of ice time (average of 17:08 in his two games).
Compare that to Vancouver where he was playing on the third line and averaging just over 12 minutes a game. Add to it that they already seem to love Hodgson in Buffalo, and it makes a ton of sense for him. Maybe now this story can fade away. All bets are off though if Hodgson scores the game-winner tonight.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)