Mar 3, 2012, 11:07 AM EST
A lot was being made of Randy Carlyle’s hiring in Toronto thanks to his shaky past with Joffrey Lupul in his days with the Anaheim Ducks. As Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun mentioned in his piece, Lupul’s time in Anaheim, for him, was filled with opportunities that Carlyle wouldn’t give him.
During today’s press conference in Montreal introducing Carlyle as the new head coach of the Maple Leafs, Carlyle was asked about his history with Lupul. Given that Lupul is one of the Leafs top scorers, it could’ve been a bad start if the two weren’t on the same page. Carlyle admits he made some mistakes.
“He felt that I didn’t use him correctly in Anaheim, and he’s right,” Carlyle said.
“I made a mistake of not using him as a left winger. That’s water under the bridge. I’ve talked to him about it and he’s a top-six forward on this team.”
That’s a hell of a way to make a first impression to the fans and media. Owning up to a past mistake, one that ultimately worked in the Leafs favor by getting to acquire Lupul last season, is a good way to kick things off especially after Ron Wilson was never one to fully own up to his errors.
Of course, the Leafs haven’t needed to motivate Lupul this season playing alongside Phil Kessel. Getting more from the rest of the roster, especially in goal, will be of vital importance if Toronto is to find a way into the postseason.
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 7
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 12
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)