Mar 3, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Apparently being a fan means you wield a lot of power with your voices.
After hearing fans calling for the firing of Ron Wilson after the Leafs last brutal loss at home to Florida, Leafs GM Brian Burke thought it was time to let Wilson go, dumping his friend in favor of former Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle. The team wasn’t playing well and with a home game against the Bruins coming up next week, Burke wanted to save his friend the trouble of being serenaded one more time.
“After the last home game, it was clear to me that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to let Ron coach another game in the Air Canada Centre. I wasn’t gonna put him through that,” Burke said.
“I wasn’t going to be put through that again. It was hard to listen to. Hard to watch. But it was clear at that point that the team wasn’t listening, watching the bench. They weren’t paying attention. They weren’t buying it. It was time.”
Not only was it the Leafs’ poor play and tuning Wilson out but it was the fans who helped bring about his ouster. Perhaps Leafs fans might want to work on chanting for other things they’d like. For example:
“Bring us Rick Nash!”
“We want waff-les!”
No, wait, that’s been done before.
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 1
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights