Mar 3, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Apparently being a fan means you wield a lot of power with your voices.
After hearing fans calling for the firing of Ron Wilson after the Leafs last brutal loss at home to Florida, Leafs GM Brian Burke thought it was time to let Wilson go, dumping his friend in favor of former Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle. The team wasn’t playing well and with a home game against the Bruins coming up next week, Burke wanted to save his friend the trouble of being serenaded one more time.
“After the last home game, it was clear to me that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to let Ron coach another game in the Air Canada Centre. I wasn’t gonna put him through that,” Burke said.
“I wasn’t going to be put through that again. It was hard to listen to. Hard to watch. But it was clear at that point that the team wasn’t listening, watching the bench. They weren’t paying attention. They weren’t buying it. It was time.”
Not only was it the Leafs’ poor play and tuning Wilson out but it was the fans who helped bring about his ouster. Perhaps Leafs fans might want to work on chanting for other things they’d like. For example:
“Bring us Rick Nash!”
“We want waff-les!”
No, wait, that’s been done before.
- Devils re-sign Greene to long-term pact 0
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 35
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 46
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (46)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)