Mar 3, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Apparently being a fan means you wield a lot of power with your voices.
After hearing fans calling for the firing of Ron Wilson after the Leafs last brutal loss at home to Florida, Leafs GM Brian Burke thought it was time to let Wilson go, dumping his friend in favor of former Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle. The team wasn’t playing well and with a home game against the Bruins coming up next week, Burke wanted to save his friend the trouble of being serenaded one more time.
“After the last home game, it was clear to me that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to let Ron coach another game in the Air Canada Centre. I wasn’t gonna put him through that,” Burke said.
“I wasn’t going to be put through that again. It was hard to listen to. Hard to watch. But it was clear at that point that the team wasn’t listening, watching the bench. They weren’t paying attention. They weren’t buying it. It was time.”
Not only was it the Leafs’ poor play and tuning Wilson out but it was the fans who helped bring about his ouster. Perhaps Leafs fans might want to work on chanting for other things they’d like. For example:
“Bring us Rick Nash!”
“We want waff-les!”
No, wait, that’s been done before.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession 17
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 12
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 6
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38