Mar 3, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
Apparently being a fan means you wield a lot of power with your voices.
After hearing fans calling for the firing of Ron Wilson after the Leafs last brutal loss at home to Florida, Leafs GM Brian Burke thought it was time to let Wilson go, dumping his friend in favor of former Anaheim coach Randy Carlyle. The team wasn’t playing well and with a home game against the Bruins coming up next week, Burke wanted to save his friend the trouble of being serenaded one more time.
“After the last home game, it was clear to me that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to let Ron coach another game in the Air Canada Centre. I wasn’t gonna put him through that,” Burke said.
“I wasn’t going to be put through that again. It was hard to listen to. Hard to watch. But it was clear at that point that the team wasn’t listening, watching the bench. They weren’t paying attention. They weren’t buying it. It was time.”
Not only was it the Leafs’ poor play and tuning Wilson out but it was the fans who helped bring about his ouster. Perhaps Leafs fans might want to work on chanting for other things they’d like. For example:
“Bring us Rick Nash!”
“We want waff-les!”
No, wait, that’s been done before.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)