Mar 2, 2012, 8:34 PM EDT
Whether it was an easy decision or not, Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke pulled the trigger tonight and fired his friend and head coach, Ron Wilson.
“This was not an easy decision for me to make,” Burke said in a statement. “I want to thank Ron for all of his hard work and dedication to our organization over the past four seasons.”
The move comes with Toronto mired in a miserable 1-9-1 stretch, sitting 11th in the Eastern Conference with 65 points. Wilson’s final game will end up being a 5-4 loss in Chicago on Thursday, a game in which the Leafs blew a 3-1 lead, allowing the Blackhawks to score three goals in a 13-minute span.
With the firing, we can now write Wilson’s tombstone as Maple Leafs head coach: June 10, 2008 – March 2, 2012. He compiled a 130-135-45 in almost four full seasons with the Buds.
Jonas Siegel of TSN 1050 Toronto points out this is only the second coach Burke’s during a season, with “Iron” Mike Keenan (in Vancouver, 1997-98) being the other.
– If there’s a silver lining for Wilson, it’s financial stability as the Leafs handed him a contract extension around the holiday season. Wilson infamously tweeted the news on Christmas Day.
– Wilson becomes the eighth coach fired this season, joining Randy Carlyle, Bruce Boudreau, Jacques Martin, Paul Maurice, Terry Murray, Davis Payne and Scott Arniel.
– Toronto also announced that assistant Coach Rob Zettler has been “reassigned to other duties in the organization.”
Want more on Wilson, Burke and the Leafs?
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 24
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)