Mar 2, 2012, 1:29 AM EDT
If the Vezina Trophy voting was based on a single back-to-back set, Ryan Miller‘s last two nights might just take the 2011-12 crown. Obviously the bigger picture is still mixed for the Buffalo Sabres netminder, but make no doubt about it: he’s red-hot right now.
Miller stopped all 43 Anaheim Ducks shots in a 2-0 win last night and then totally slacked by making all 39 saves against the San Jose Sharks in a 1-0 triumph on Thursday.
More than two great games
While that dynamic duo of contests rank as the peak of Miller’s season, he’s been outstanding in general lately. He’s now 5-0-1 in his last six games and 10-2-3 since it seemed like he hit rock bottom on Jan. 24.
The Sabres still seem like a long shot to make the playoffs (see: this study of the big picture situation), although it’s not out of the question if they can overcome some serious schedule challenges.
After all, they’re surprisingly already up in 10th place behind two vulnerable Southeast Division teams:
8. Winnipeg: 70 points with 16 games remaining
9. Washington: 69 points with 19 games remaining
10. Buffalo: 66 points with 18 games remaining
(click here for the rest of the standings)
Sure, it seemed like Miller actually kinda floundered the last time he fumed in 2011-12 (after Milan Lucic clobbered him), but an angry Miller is looking like a dangerous Miller since Paul Gaustad was traded.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)