Mar 2, 2012, 1:29 AM EST
If the Vezina Trophy voting was based on a single back-to-back set, Ryan Miller‘s last two nights might just take the 2011-12 crown. Obviously the bigger picture is still mixed for the Buffalo Sabres netminder, but make no doubt about it: he’s red-hot right now.
Miller stopped all 43 Anaheim Ducks shots in a 2-0 win last night and then totally slacked by making all 39 saves against the San Jose Sharks in a 1-0 triumph on Thursday.
More than two great games
While that dynamic duo of contests rank as the peak of Miller’s season, he’s been outstanding in general lately. He’s now 5-0-1 in his last six games and 10-2-3 since it seemed like he hit rock bottom on Jan. 24.
The Sabres still seem like a long shot to make the playoffs (see: this study of the big picture situation), although it’s not out of the question if they can overcome some serious schedule challenges.
After all, they’re surprisingly already up in 10th place behind two vulnerable Southeast Division teams:
8. Winnipeg: 70 points with 16 games remaining
9. Washington: 69 points with 19 games remaining
10. Buffalo: 66 points with 18 games remaining
(click here for the rest of the standings)
Sure, it seemed like Miller actually kinda floundered the last time he fumed in 2011-12 (after Milan Lucic clobbered him), but an angry Miller is looking like a dangerous Miller since Paul Gaustad was traded.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)