Mar 2, 2012, 1:29 AM EDT
If the Vezina Trophy voting was based on a single back-to-back set, Ryan Miller‘s last two nights might just take the 2011-12 crown. Obviously the bigger picture is still mixed for the Buffalo Sabres netminder, but make no doubt about it: he’s red-hot right now.
Miller stopped all 43 Anaheim Ducks shots in a 2-0 win last night and then totally slacked by making all 39 saves against the San Jose Sharks in a 1-0 triumph on Thursday.
More than two great games
While that dynamic duo of contests rank as the peak of Miller’s season, he’s been outstanding in general lately. He’s now 5-0-1 in his last six games and 10-2-3 since it seemed like he hit rock bottom on Jan. 24.
The Sabres still seem like a long shot to make the playoffs (see: this study of the big picture situation), although it’s not out of the question if they can overcome some serious schedule challenges.
After all, they’re surprisingly already up in 10th place behind two vulnerable Southeast Division teams:
8. Winnipeg: 70 points with 16 games remaining
9. Washington: 69 points with 19 games remaining
10. Buffalo: 66 points with 18 games remaining
(click here for the rest of the standings)
Sure, it seemed like Miller actually kinda floundered the last time he fumed in 2011-12 (after Milan Lucic clobbered him), but an angry Miller is looking like a dangerous Miller since Paul Gaustad was traded.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)