Mar 2, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
The Hockey News’ Ken Campbell thinks both the Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs need major makeovers to become competitive again. And while his column’s not entirely pessimistic, it does include the phrase “both teams suck wind,” so yeah.
On the Habs, Campbell writes that GM Pierre Gauthier “has made questionable decision after questionable decision,” but on the bright side, at least they’re going to get a top draft pick this summer.
On the Leafs, he writes that GM Brian Burke “has come up woefully short …in acquiring free agents” while conceding Burke “has made some very shrewd trades and done a good job restocking the Leafs farm system with decent, but not great, prospects.”
So ahead of Saturday’s game between the two struggling clubs, we thought we’d put it to a vote – which team has the brighter future?
—- Toronto is one of the youngest teams in the NHL. The organization boasts a deep pool of prospects including Jake Gardiner, Nazem Kadri, Matt Frattin, Ben Scrivens and James Reimer. Not to mention, Phil Kessel is only 24, Tyler Bozak’s 25 and Dion Phaneuf’s 26.
—- Montreal has a franchise goalie in 24-year-old Carey Price and talented young regulars like David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty, PK Subban and Lars Eller. The prospect pool isn’t ranked very highly, but it does include first-round picks Nathan Beaulieu, Louis Leblanc and Jarred Tinordi, plus junior standout Brendan Gallagher.
OK, time to vote:
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 23
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 9
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 15
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 11
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)