Mar 2, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
There was a positive sight at Sharks practice Friday as head coach Todd McLellan returned to the ice.
McLellan, 44, hasn’t been with the team since Sunday’s game against Minnesota, where he was struck by a Wild player’s stick, collapsed and later diagnosed with a concussion.
The San Jose Mercury News reports McLellan “was on the ice, barking orders at his players, calling them over to the white board for instruction, basically doing what he usually does at practice.”
Sharks GM Doug Wilson said McLellan’s participation was only part of the club’s post-concussion protocol, and that further medical testing would still be required. Once the results of those exams were made available, McLellan’s availability would be determined for Saturday’s home date against the St. Louis Blues — as such, the coach was not made available to the media following today’s skate.
The Sharks have played twice in McLellan’s absence, finding themselves on opposite ends of 1-0 scores. San Jose defeated Philadelphia on Tuesday but lost to Buffalo on Thursday, both under the guidance of interim head coach Jay Woodcroft.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)