Mar 2, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
There was a positive sight at Sharks practice Friday as head coach Todd McLellan returned to the ice.
McLellan, 44, hasn’t been with the team since Sunday’s game against Minnesota, where he was struck by a Wild player’s stick, collapsed and later diagnosed with a concussion.
The San Jose Mercury News reports McLellan “was on the ice, barking orders at his players, calling them over to the white board for instruction, basically doing what he usually does at practice.”
Sharks GM Doug Wilson said McLellan’s participation was only part of the club’s post-concussion protocol, and that further medical testing would still be required. Once the results of those exams were made available, McLellan’s availability would be determined for Saturday’s home date against the St. Louis Blues — as such, the coach was not made available to the media following today’s skate.
The Sharks have played twice in McLellan’s absence, finding themselves on opposite ends of 1-0 scores. San Jose defeated Philadelphia on Tuesday but lost to Buffalo on Thursday, both under the guidance of interim head coach Jay Woodcroft.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (67)