Mar 2, 2012, 5:10 PM EST
There was a positive sight at Sharks practice Friday as head coach Todd McLellan returned to the ice.
McLellan, 44, hasn’t been with the team since Sunday’s game against Minnesota, where he was struck by a Wild player’s stick, collapsed and later diagnosed with a concussion.
The San Jose Mercury News reports McLellan “was on the ice, barking orders at his players, calling them over to the white board for instruction, basically doing what he usually does at practice.”
Sharks GM Doug Wilson said McLellan’s participation was only part of the club’s post-concussion protocol, and that further medical testing would still be required. Once the results of those exams were made available, McLellan’s availability would be determined for Saturday’s home date against the St. Louis Blues — as such, the coach was not made available to the media following today’s skate.
The Sharks have played twice in McLellan’s absence, finding themselves on opposite ends of 1-0 scores. San Jose defeated Philadelphia on Tuesday but lost to Buffalo on Thursday, both under the guidance of interim head coach Jay Woodcroft.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)