Mar 2, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
There was a positive sight at Sharks practice Friday as head coach Todd McLellan returned to the ice.
McLellan, 44, hasn’t been with the team since Sunday’s game against Minnesota, where he was struck by a Wild player’s stick, collapsed and later diagnosed with a concussion.
The San Jose Mercury News reports McLellan “was on the ice, barking orders at his players, calling them over to the white board for instruction, basically doing what he usually does at practice.”
Sharks GM Doug Wilson said McLellan’s participation was only part of the club’s post-concussion protocol, and that further medical testing would still be required. Once the results of those exams were made available, McLellan’s availability would be determined for Saturday’s home date against the St. Louis Blues — as such, the coach was not made available to the media following today’s skate.
The Sharks have played twice in McLellan’s absence, finding themselves on opposite ends of 1-0 scores. San Jose defeated Philadelphia on Tuesday but lost to Buffalo on Thursday, both under the guidance of interim head coach Jay Woodcroft.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)