Mar 2, 2012, 5:10 PM EDT
There was a positive sight at Sharks practice Friday as head coach Todd McLellan returned to the ice.
McLellan, 44, hasn’t been with the team since Sunday’s game against Minnesota, where he was struck by a Wild player’s stick, collapsed and later diagnosed with a concussion.
The San Jose Mercury News reports McLellan “was on the ice, barking orders at his players, calling them over to the white board for instruction, basically doing what he usually does at practice.”
Sharks GM Doug Wilson said McLellan’s participation was only part of the club’s post-concussion protocol, and that further medical testing would still be required. Once the results of those exams were made available, McLellan’s availability would be determined for Saturday’s home date against the St. Louis Blues — as such, the coach was not made available to the media following today’s skate.
The Sharks have played twice in McLellan’s absence, finding themselves on opposite ends of 1-0 scores. San Jose defeated Philadelphia on Tuesday but lost to Buffalo on Thursday, both under the guidance of interim head coach Jay Woodcroft.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 38
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 15
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3