Mar 2, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
Is Ilya Bryzgalov finally rounding into form?
That’s something being asked after the Flyers goalie recorded what CSN Philadelphia dubbed “an encouraging Western swing.”
Bryzgalov has started Philadelphia’s last five games — in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and San Jose, then home against the Islanders — and was mostly solid, posting three wins and two sterling efforts against the Oilers and Sharks.
“He looks very much in charge of his net right now,” coach Peter Laviolette said.
To be fair, Bryzgalov’s numbers don’t indicate any significant change. His save percentage over the last five is a pedestrian .887, thanks in large part to allowing four goals on 21 shots in Calgary and four on 26 against Winnipeg.
But numbers don’t tell the entire story — Bryz made four huge stops in the shootout against the Flames and several key stops against the Isles on Thursday, which CSN Philly’s Jay Greenberg described thusly:
The Flyers, in their first home game after a four-game trip, came out flatter than the $51 million man has spent his first five months in Philadelphia on his face. Still, they beat the Islanders 6-3 because Bryzgalov brought the old, Phoenix Bryzgalov home with him from an encouraging Western swing.
He got beat on a rebound after stopping [Josh] Bailey point-blank, by Bailey on a cross-ice feed to an empty net and by a one-time bazooka by Kyle Okposo from about six feet. Some idiots booed the last one, but you can’t play much better in surrendering three goals than Bryzgalov did.
Bryzgalov isn’t prepared to say he’s found his groove — he told reporters, “I don’t want to talk about it” after the Isles game before acknowledging, “I feel good” and then walking away — but it’s clear he’s in a much better space. The Flyers are rolling six veteran defensemen deep on the blueline (gone are the likes of rookies Marc-Andre Bourdon and Eric Gustafsson) and Bryz seems to be over what was a lengthy adjustment period.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)