Mar 2, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT
As one of the leading scorers in NHL history, former Los Angeles Kings great Marcel Dionne knows a thing or two about creating offense. Apparently Dionne isn’t shy about critiquing the current Kings’ best source of production, either.
“I think Kopitar’s at the point in his career where he has to decide what he wants to do,” Dionne said. “Does he want to be the guy? He should be looking at the situation and what’s going with (Evgeni) Malkin. When (Sidney) Crosby was playing, Malkin was happy to be second fiddle. Then, when Crosby went out, Malkin took over.”
“[Kopitar] reminds me a little bit of Mats Sundin. They’re big guys, but when they get close to the net, they’re not aggressive enough. I still have confidence in him. But, sometimes, management [is] too nice to stars. He needs a wake-up call.”
Kopitar leads the Kings in goals (18), assists (36) and points (54) this season, but that still might be a disappointing output for some. Do you think Dionne has a point about Kopitar’s supposed lack of assertiveness or does it really come down to a lack of support from the players around him?
Either way, Kopitar will get his next chance to heed that “wake-up call” against the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)