Mar 2, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
After scoring 13 points (7G, 6A) in 12 games, Colorado left wing Gabriel Landeskog has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month for February.
It was a month to remember for the 19-year-old, taken second overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Landeskog ranked third among all skaters in shots on goal (55) and led all rookies with a plus-nine rating.
His best stretch, though, was reserved for the tail end of the month — Landeskog finished February with a six-game point streak, recording 5G-5A as the Avalanche won five of six games to move within a point of the eighth in the Western Conference.
As a result, Landeskog could now be the leading Calder Trophy candidate. He’s in the top five of all significant rookie statistical categories, leading the way in goals (18), shots (208) and plus/minus (+21).
Given that Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been sidelined with shoulder injuries, Cody Hodgson has been shipped to Buffalo and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique has slowed down (scoreless in his last three games), Landeskog could end up being named the NHL’s rookie of the year.
Should be noted this is Landeskog’s first rookie of the month award.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)