Mar 2, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
After scoring 13 points (7G, 6A) in 12 games, Colorado left wing Gabriel Landeskog has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month for February.
It was a month to remember for the 19-year-old, taken second overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Landeskog ranked third among all skaters in shots on goal (55) and led all rookies with a plus-nine rating.
His best stretch, though, was reserved for the tail end of the month — Landeskog finished February with a six-game point streak, recording 5G-5A as the Avalanche won five of six games to move within a point of the eighth in the Western Conference.
As a result, Landeskog could now be the leading Calder Trophy candidate. He’s in the top five of all significant rookie statistical categories, leading the way in goals (18), shots (208) and plus/minus (+21).
Given that Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been sidelined with shoulder injuries, Cody Hodgson has been shipped to Buffalo and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique has slowed down (scoreless in his last three games), Landeskog could end up being named the NHL’s rookie of the year.
Should be noted this is Landeskog’s first rookie of the month award.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 21
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)