Mar 2, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
After scoring 13 points (7G, 6A) in 12 games, Colorado left wing Gabriel Landeskog has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month for February.
It was a month to remember for the 19-year-old, taken second overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Landeskog ranked third among all skaters in shots on goal (55) and led all rookies with a plus-nine rating.
His best stretch, though, was reserved for the tail end of the month — Landeskog finished February with a six-game point streak, recording 5G-5A as the Avalanche won five of six games to move within a point of the eighth in the Western Conference.
As a result, Landeskog could now be the leading Calder Trophy candidate. He’s in the top five of all significant rookie statistical categories, leading the way in goals (18), shots (208) and plus/minus (+21).
Given that Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been sidelined with shoulder injuries, Cody Hodgson has been shipped to Buffalo and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique has slowed down (scoreless in his last three games), Landeskog could end up being named the NHL’s rookie of the year.
Should be noted this is Landeskog’s first rookie of the month award.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)