Mar 2, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
After scoring 13 points (7G, 6A) in 12 games, Colorado left wing Gabriel Landeskog has been named the NHL’s rookie of the month for February.
It was a month to remember for the 19-year-old, taken second overall at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft. Landeskog ranked third among all skaters in shots on goal (55) and led all rookies with a plus-nine rating.
His best stretch, though, was reserved for the tail end of the month — Landeskog finished February with a six-game point streak, recording 5G-5A as the Avalanche won five of six games to move within a point of the eighth in the Western Conference.
As a result, Landeskog could now be the leading Calder Trophy candidate. He’s in the top five of all significant rookie statistical categories, leading the way in goals (18), shots (208) and plus/minus (+21).
Given that Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been sidelined with shoulder injuries, Cody Hodgson has been shipped to Buffalo and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique has slowed down (scoreless in his last three games), Landeskog could end up being named the NHL’s rookie of the year.
Should be noted this is Landeskog’s first rookie of the month award.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 2
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)