Mar 2, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Boychuk has been out of the Bruins lineup since absorbing a mammoth hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday. The 28-year-old was diagnosed with a concussion and is listed as day-to-day — as for when he’ll return to the lineup, Boychuk said he’d prefer to take some hits before playing, but could be cleared for game action without participating in a full practice.
Ference suffered a lower-body injury in Thursday’s 4-3 overtime win over New Jersey. Shockingly, the organization was tight-lipped about the nature of his ailment, though it’s believed Ference suffered the injury after taking a big hit from Devils forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.
“What I’ve seen over my time in hockey is defensemen can drop like flies. They really can,’’ Chiarelli told The Globe. “You can never have enough defensemen. We felt we wanted to have eight NHL defensemen in the mix. That was the blueprint I was working on.’’
Zanon made his Bruins debut on Thursday against New Jersey and is expected to remain in the lineup on Saturday against the Islanders. If Ference is unavailable, Mottau would draw back in.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 11
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 4
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)