Mar 2, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Boychuk has been out of the Bruins lineup since absorbing a mammoth hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday. The 28-year-old was diagnosed with a concussion and is listed as day-to-day — as for when he’ll return to the lineup, Boychuk said he’d prefer to take some hits before playing, but could be cleared for game action without participating in a full practice.
Ference suffered a lower-body injury in Thursday’s 4-3 overtime win over New Jersey. Shockingly, the organization was tight-lipped about the nature of his ailment, though it’s believed Ference suffered the injury after taking a big hit from Devils forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.
“What I’ve seen over my time in hockey is defensemen can drop like flies. They really can,’’ Chiarelli told The Globe. “You can never have enough defensemen. We felt we wanted to have eight NHL defensemen in the mix. That was the blueprint I was working on.’’
Zanon made his Bruins debut on Thursday against New Jersey and is expected to remain in the lineup on Saturday against the Islanders. If Ference is unavailable, Mottau would draw back in.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 12
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 23
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 25
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 19
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 55
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6