Mar 2, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Boychuk has been out of the Bruins lineup since absorbing a mammoth hit from Ottawa’s Chris Neil on Saturday. The 28-year-old was diagnosed with a concussion and is listed as day-to-day — as for when he’ll return to the lineup, Boychuk said he’d prefer to take some hits before playing, but could be cleared for game action without participating in a full practice.
Ference suffered a lower-body injury in Thursday’s 4-3 overtime win over New Jersey. Shockingly, the organization was tight-lipped about the nature of his ailment, though it’s believed Ference suffered the injury after taking a big hit from Devils forward Alexei Ponikarovsky.
“What I’ve seen over my time in hockey is defensemen can drop like flies. They really can,’’ Chiarelli told The Globe. “You can never have enough defensemen. We felt we wanted to have eight NHL defensemen in the mix. That was the blueprint I was working on.’’
Zanon made his Bruins debut on Thursday against New Jersey and is expected to remain in the lineup on Saturday against the Islanders. If Ference is unavailable, Mottau would draw back in.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 3
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 36
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)