Mar 1, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Callahan sustained the injury blocking a shot in New York’s 2-0 win over the Devils on Monday, limiting him to under 15 minutes of ice time (despite this, he still managed to register a goal and an assist while dishing out six hits.) Since then, Gross reports Callahan has been held out of a myriad of team activities — he missed Wednesday’s practice, his scheduled appearance on WFAN radio and the Rangers’ annual casino night.
Callahan did travel with the team for a Thursday-Friday back-to-back in Carolina and Tampa Bay, but head coach John Tortorella was evasive when it came to updating his captain’s status. The 26-year-old RW hasn’t missed a game this year, a strong rebound campaign after missing 19 games last season with a broken hand.
UPDATE: Katie Strang of ESPN New York reports that Callahan will miss Thursday’s game against Carolina with a bruised foot.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)