Mar 1, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Callahan sustained the injury blocking a shot in New York’s 2-0 win over the Devils on Monday, limiting him to under 15 minutes of ice time (despite this, he still managed to register a goal and an assist while dishing out six hits.) Since then, Gross reports Callahan has been held out of a myriad of team activities — he missed Wednesday’s practice, his scheduled appearance on WFAN radio and the Rangers’ annual casino night.
Callahan did travel with the team for a Thursday-Friday back-to-back in Carolina and Tampa Bay, but head coach John Tortorella was evasive when it came to updating his captain’s status. The 26-year-old RW hasn’t missed a game this year, a strong rebound campaign after missing 19 games last season with a broken hand.
UPDATE: Katie Strang of ESPN New York reports that Callahan will miss Thursday’s game against Carolina with a bruised foot.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)