Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EST

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated)

Mar 5, 2015, 7:13 PM EST

Mike Ribeiro Mike Ribeiro

“At the same time, Mike will maintain his focus on doing all he can to help Nashville win its first-ever Stanley Cup.”

2. Ovechkin (lower body) to miss first game of the season tonight

Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 PM EST

Washington Capitals v New York Islanders Getty Images

Won’t suit up when the Caps take on Minnesota.

3. Bruins sign former WHL captain Justin Hickman

Mar 5, 2015, 5:27 PM EST

Seattle Thunderbirds v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

Big forward who doesn’t mind dropping the gloves.

4. (Video) PHT Extra: Why would Babcock leave the Wings now?

Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 PM EST

Mike Babcock Mike Babcock

He recently called them the “best group I’ve had since ’09.”

5. Preds ‘out for a little revenge’ versus Isles

Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Taylor Beck, Anders Lee, Josh Bailey AP

Nashville’s won just two of its last eight.

6. Edler, Burrows, and Kassian expected back for Canucks, who ‘better be’ ready for Coyotes

Mar 5, 2015, 2:05 PM EST

AlexEdler Getty Images

“We only have 19 games left and we have to be winning and getting points.”

7. ‘Banged up’ Ovechkin questionable for Caps versus Wild

Mar 5, 2015, 12:33 PM EST

Alex Ovechkin AP

Will take the pre-game skate to determine if he can play.

8. In praise of the Hamburglar

Mar 5, 2015, 12:18 PM EST

Patrick Wiercioch, Andrew Hammond Getty Images

That’d be Sens goalie Andrew Hammond.

9. Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving

Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST

Phil Kessel; Peter Horachek Phil Kessel; Peter Horachek

Following an incident against Washington on Mar. 1.

10. Connor McDavid is just on fire right now

Mar 5, 2015, 12:11 PM EST

Erie Otters v Peterborough Petes Getty Images

Up to 107 points in just 40 games.

11. Panthers clear captain Mitchell, put Montoya on IR

Mar 5, 2015, 11:29 AM EST

Florida Panthers v Calgary Flames Getty Images

Florida takes on Dallas tonight as the fight for the playoffs continues.

12. Capitals call up Burakovsky

Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 AM EST

Andre Burakovsky AP

May not be a good sign regarding Michael Latta.

Is there an issue with Babcock in Detroit?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches