Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency

Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 AM EDT

st.louis Getty Images

Some interesting players still need deals.

2. PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker

Jul 1, 2015, 11:15 PM EDT

Mike Green Getty Images

All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.

3. Habs sign Barberio to a one-year, two-way deal

Jul 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

Mark Barberio Mark Barberio

The contract pays the 25-year-old $600,000.

4. Columbus character: Blue Jackets ink Gregory Campbell

Jul 1, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT

Gregory Campbell AP

It’s reportedly two-years, $3 million.

5. Report: Brassard should be ready for training camp after wrist surgery

Jul 1, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT

Derick Brassard AP

The Rangers were a banged-up group in the playoffs.

6. Preds trade goalie Hellberg to Rangers

Jul 1, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT

Nashville Predators v Los Angeles Kings Getty Images

Was the first netminder taken at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.

7. Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’

Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

Official Announcement Of Mike Babcock As Toronto Maple Leafs Head Coach Getty Images

“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”

8. B’s re-sign Spooner: two years, $1.9 million

Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.

9. Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million

Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT

Mike Green Getty Images

Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.

10. ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’

Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT

Phil Kessel Getty Images

Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.

11. After Preds buyout, Stalberg signs one-year, $1.1M deal with Rangers

Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT

Viktor Stalberg #25 of the Nashville Predators warms up prior to a game against the Winnipeg Jets at Bridgestone Arena on October 24, 2013 in Nashville, Tennessee.
(October 23, 2013 - Source: Frederick Breedon/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches