Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Boudreau thinks Heatley’s a better fit with Perry/Getzlaf than Penner

Sep 1, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

Last season’s experiment ended with Penner being traded.

2. Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’

Aug 31, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT

Barry Trotz AP

He continued to follow their summer moves after he was fired.

3. Lombardi brings Stanley Cup to Snoopy

Aug 31, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT

Dean Lombardi AP

The late creator of Peanuts was a big hockey fan.

4. Columnist: Schultz deal might complicate Avs’ talks with RFA Barrie

Aug 31, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie Getty Images

The Colorado defenseman is still a restricted free agent.

5. Scioscia wants MLB to adopt NHL-inspired roster expansion rules

Aug 31, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT

Mike Scioscia AP

“I think that would make it a little more equitable for match-ups.”

6. Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success

Aug 31, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

Ron Hextall Getty Images

He served as an assistant general manager in Los Angeles before coming to Philadelphia.

7. Gagner looking for fresh start in Arizona

Aug 31, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT

Sam Gagner AP

After matching a career-low in goals during the 2013-14 season, he’s hoping for big things with the Coyotes.

8. Report: Devils sign Kelly

Aug 31, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Image (1) NewJerseyDevils_logo-thumb-250x243-22093.gif for post 6122

Add depth to blue line in Albany.

9. Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers

Aug 31, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

Kevin Hayes Getty Images

Hopes to play in the NHL in 2014-15.

10. Bieksa confident changes have Canucks headed in right direction

Aug 31, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

After missing the playoffs for the first time since 2007-08, he believes they’ll be back in the postseason in 2014-15.

11. Leafs’ Kadri aims for more goals in contract year

Aug 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

He’s emphasized a quick shot release the most.

12. Sharks explain moving Burns back to the blueline

Aug 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Seven Getty Images

GM Doug Wilson points out that he was acquired to be a “stud defenseman.”

13. Looking to make the leap: Reid Boucher

Aug 30, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Stefan Matteau is in the conversation, too.

14. Oilers’ Schultz admits it’s too early for Norris talk

Aug 30, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

His new deal earned more than a few critics.

15. Boudreau doesn’t know how Ducks goalie situation will ‘shake out’

Aug 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Bruce Boudreau AP

Frederik Andersen and John Gibson both have a shot at being No. 1.

16. What if the Blue Jackets and Johansen don’t reach a deal?

Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

The two sides are not budging in contract negotiations.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches