Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EST

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Wild expect Granlund in the lineup Tuesday vs. Edmonton

Jan 26, 2015, 10:25 PM EST

Mikael Granlund #64 of the Minnesota Wild skates against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on February 1, 2013 in Anaheim, California.
(January 31, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

He’s missed 13 games recovering from surgery on his fractured left wrist.

2. Habs’ Carey Price forced to charter from Columbus to Montreal

Jan 26, 2015, 9:30 PM EST

Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 9.10.04 PM

Several players had to make alternate arrangements leaving the All-Star Game.

3. Devils’ Jagr battled the flu and mumps

Jan 26, 2015, 8:35 PM EST

JaromirJagr Getty Images

Expected to play Wednesday against the Leafs

4. Lombardi on waiving Richards: ‘These are the tough decisions you’ve got to make’

Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST

Dean Lombardi Getty Images

Teams have till noon eastern time Tuesday to place a claim on the forward.

5. Avs without Erik Johnson for up to eight weeks

Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST

Erik Johnson Getty Images

The Avalanche are trying to claw their way into the playoffs.

6. Wild send Kuemper to AHL on conditioning stint

Jan 26, 2015, 5:52 PM EST

Darcy Kuemper Getty Images

Minnesota had three healthy goaltenders on its roster.

7. Leafs captain Phaneuf week-to-week with upper-body injury

Jan 26, 2015, 4:22 PM EST

Milan Michalek Dion Phaneuf AP

This might be the result of fighting in back-to-back games.

8. Sabres suspend Zadorov, lose Neuvirth

Jan 26, 2015, 3:12 PM EST

Nikita Zadorov Getty Images

The post-All-Star Game portion of the season isn’t starting any better for Buffalo.

9. Lamoriello indicates time behind bench is winding down

Jan 26, 2015, 2:21 PM EST

New Jersey Devils Vs. Boston Bruins At TD Garden Getty Images

He’s been overseeing co-coaches Adam Oates and Scott Stevens.

10. Lightning concerned about Johnson’s lower-body injury

Jan 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Tyler johnson Getty Images

He didn’t end up playing in the All-Star Game.

11. L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards

Jan 26, 2015, 12:31 PM EST

Mike Richards Getty Images

Remember, the club opted not to amnesty his contract last June.

12. Kevin Bieksa has hand surgery, will miss 6-8 weeks

Jan 26, 2015, 12:23 PM EST

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Canucks will give Frank Corrado a chance to show what he can do.

13. Johansen, Karlsson, Parise named NHL’s three stars of the week

Jan 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST

2015 Honda NHL All-Star Game Getty Images

Columbus’ star center is having a nice little run at the moment.

Who will excite most in All-Star game?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches