Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves

Oct 30, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Boston Bruins - Game Five Getty Images

Two big boys land some pretty good shots.

2. Flames place Backlund on IR, recall Ferland

Oct 30, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT

Mikael Backlund Getty Images

Abdominal injury hits the center once again.

3. Leafs recall Percy as insurance policy

Oct 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT

Montreal Canadiens v Toronto Maple Leafs Getty Images

Adds depth as Toronto travels to Columbus.

4. Drouin dropped to fourth line, ‘has to learn to play away from the puck’

Oct 30, 2014, 5:24 PM EDT

Jonathan Drouin AP

“I don’t know too many people who jump into the league at 19 (years old) and are playing 22 minutes a night, it just doesn’t really happen.”

5. (Video) PHT Extra: Who’s the worst team in the NHL?

Oct 30, 2014, 4:23 PM EDT

Tyler Ennis, Matt Moulson, Justin Faulk, Riley Nash, Ron Hainsey AP

We debate — Buffalo or Carolina?

6. ‘Obviously, our defense has gotten better,’ says Ducks coach Boudreau

Oct 30, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT

DucksBoudreau Hockey AP

Which is important, because good defensive teams win Stanley Cups.

7. Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM

Oct 30, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT

Don Maloney AP

“So we need to get better or things are going to change around here probably sooner rather than later.”

8. Will the Sabres return Reinhart to junior?

Oct 30, 2014, 12:32 PM EDT

Sam Reinhart AP

We should find out after tonight’s game.

9. Pens recall Megna

Oct 30, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT

Phoenix Coyotes v Pittsburgh Penguins Phoenix Coyotes v Pittsburgh Penguins

He appeared in 36 games last year.

10. Weiss (groin) heading back to Detroit, unable to play for Grand Rapids

Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

If you’re curious what a buyout would cost the Wings, click on the post.

Worst team in the NHL?