Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Looking to make the leap: Reid Boucher

Aug 30, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

Florida Panthers v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Stefan Matteau is in the conversation, too.

2. Oilers’ Schultz admits it’s too early for Norris talk

Aug 30, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Edmonton Oilers v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

His new deal earned more than a few critics.

3. Boudreau doesn’t know how Ducks goalie situation will ‘shake out’

Aug 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Bruce Boudreau AP

Frederik Andersen and John Gibson both have a shot at being No. 1.

4. What if the Blue Jackets and Johansen don’t reach a deal?

Aug 30, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT

Ryan Johansen Getty Images

The two sides are not budging in contract negotiations.

5. Under Pressure: Cory Schneider

Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Cory Schneider AP

Will try to guide the Devils back to the postseason after two straight seasons without playoff hockey in New Jersey.

6. Binghamton Senators unveil new jerseys

Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Will wear a different look in 2014-15.

7. Ryan Smyth keeping busy as camp approaches

Aug 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

ryansmythgetty Getty Images

After playing over 1,000 NHL games, he’s enjoying the time away.

8. Report: Devils sign Pelley, add depth

Aug 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

Image (1) NewJerseyDevils_logo-thumb-250x243-22093.gif for post 15654

RFA David Wohlberg joins Albany

9. Devils’ Gomez considered retirement

Aug 30, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT

Scott Gomez AP

After spending portions of last season as a healthy scratch, he’s looking to revive his career in New Jersey.

10. Will Jagr finally show his age next season?

Aug 30, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Father Time always wins … eventually.

11. Trotz (kinda) downplays doubts about working with Ovechkin

Aug 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Washington Capitals Introduce General Manager Brian MacLellan And Coach Barry Trotz Getty Images

” … Until we go into the season and start playing real games, our relationship will be fine.”

12. It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT

Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Adam Henrique, Ryane Clowe, Michael Ryder AP

Can they shoot out of mediocrity?

13. Looking to make the leap: Ryan Spooner

Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Can he fit in well enough to embrace this opportunity?

14. Poll: How should Boston handle its cap crunch?

Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

marchboy Getty Images

Should they make a move or play hardball with free agents?

15. Nicklas Backstrom finally got his silver medal today

Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

backstromsilver

“I’m sleeping with it tonight.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches