Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead

Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.

2. Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was

Apr 19, 2014, 11:56 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

Colorado’s rookie sensation is inspiring some bold words.

3. Red-hot Avs chase Bryzgalov in second period

Apr 19, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game One Getty Images

Colorado might want to keep Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon together.

4. Blue Jackets’ Tyutin appears to suffer injury

Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Florida Panthers Getty Images

The defenseman last played in the first period.

5. Video: Nathan MacKinnon’s first career playoff goal is gorgeous

Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Two Getty Images

He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.

6. Hitchcock’s Backes update: He’s not great

Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

St Louis Blues v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

The Blues coach mostly pleads the fifth.

7. Seabrook: ‘I was just trying to make a play on Backes’

Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

Brent Seabrook Getty Images

His play may wind up costing him a suspension.

8. WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2)

Apr 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Evgeni Malkin, Derek MacKenzie AP

Pittsburgh carries a 1-0 series lead into Saturday.

9. Video: Bryan Bickell goes knee-on-knee with Vladimir Sobotka

Apr 19, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v St. Louis Blues - Game Two Getty Images

His penalty got things going in the wrong direction for Chicago.

10. Video: Blues’ Shattenkirk beats the buzzer in first period

Apr 19, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT

Kevin Shattenkirk AP

His goal is the difference in the game through two.

11. Roy: Duchene will likely miss entire first round

Apr 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

Matt Duchene Getty Images

He’s been out since March 29 with a knee injury.

12. Oshie returns to Blues lineup for Game 2

Apr 19, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

T.J. Oshie Getty Images

He’s missed three games with an upper-body injury.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D