Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Dupuis thinks he can play again, but ‘it’s not up to me’

Apr 26, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Pascal Dupuis Getty Images

He’ll undergo further testing in the not too distant future.

2. WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action

Apr 26, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Dale Weise, Brandon Prust, Alexei Emelin AP

Habs and Wild look to advance with Game 6 wins.

3. Report: Toronto approached Chiarelli before he took Oilers job

Apr 26, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Peter Chiarelli Peter Chiarelli

The newly appointed Edmonton executive is already busy in his new role.

4. Glencross to return to Caps’ lineup for Game 7

Apr 26, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT

Washington Capitals Headshots

Eric Fehr would be ready for the second round.

5. Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds

Apr 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Canada forward Sidney Crosby raises his stick to hockey fans after Canada beat the USA 1-0 in a men's semifinal ice hockey game at the 2014 Winter Olympics, Friday, Feb. 21, 2014, in Sochi, Russia. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez) AP

He last played at the 2006 tournament.

6. Sens’ MacArthur good to go for Game 6

Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

Clarke MacArthur Getty Images

He didn’t play the second half of Friday night’s win.

7. Pens’ Pouliot headed back to AHL

Apr 26, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Chorney and Dumoulin could also head back to Wilkes-Barre for their playoff run.

8. Habs’ Parenteau to play Game 6

Apr 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

P.A. Parenteau P.A. Parenteau

He’s been a healthy scratch for three games.

9. Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators

Apr 25, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT

Nashville Predators at Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

A six-game series that felt like (at least) seven.

10. Video: Canucks score three in 7:06 to take commanding lead in Calgary

Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v Calgary Flames - Game Four Getty Images

Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.

Plenty of pressure on Blues