Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. 18 going on 30: Habs’ prospect Fucale must be patient behind Price

Sep 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Zachary Fucale AP

He’s wise to be patient with Carey Price cemented in the No. 1 spot.

2. Panthers will bring hockey to Dominican Republic

Sep 4, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

2015 NHL All-Star Weekend - Mascot Portraits Getty Images

They previously visited Puerto Rico and the Bahamas.

3. Report: Bruins extend tryout offer to Gustavsson

Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT

Jonas Gustavsson AP

Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.

4. Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer

Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT

Phil Kessel AP

His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.

5. Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office

Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Rich Peverley AP

He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.

6. Rangers nab Chris Drury as director of player development

Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

Rangers Sign Chris Drury And Scott Gomez Getty Images

GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.

7. Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation

Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.

8. Tyler Johnson should be ready for Lightning training camp

Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT

Tyler Johnson AP

He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.

9. Zetterberg: Babcock leaving Detroit was best for both sides

Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Stanley Cup Finals - Detroit Red Wings v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Six Getty Images

A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”

10. Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed

Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Andrei Vasilevskiy AP

Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.

11. Dmitry Orlov (wrist) ready after missing 2014-15

Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT

Dmitry Orlov Getty Images

He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.

12. Coyotes sign ’15 first rounder Nick Merkley

Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Nick Merkley Getty Images

He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.

13. Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Slava Voynov AP

They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.

14. Calgary presents Ryan Wilson with PTO

Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT

Ryan Wilson Getty Images

Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?

15. Interviewer: Raanta’s rooting against Hawks quote is real, but needs context

Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Antti Raanta Getty Images

“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches