Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EST

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Poile moves to second on all-time GM wins list

Dec 24, 2014, 8:59 PM EST

David Poile AP

Only Glen Sather is ahead of him.

2. Overtime/shootout drama becoming the norm in Florida

Dec 24, 2014, 7:51 PM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

“It’s like a little miracle down here.”

3. Scoring change gives Nash his first Rangers hat trick

Dec 24, 2014, 6:40 PM EST

Nash goal

The goal was initially credited to Martin St. Louis.

4. Hextall impressed by Zepp, but cautious when predicting his future

Dec 24, 2014, 5:54 PM EST

Rob Zepp Getty Images

Will he eventually earn a full-time NHL roster spot?

5. Lightning returns top goalie prospect Vasilevskiy to AHL

Dec 24, 2014, 4:31 PM EST

Andrei Vasilevskiy Getty Images

His stint with the Lightning was brief, but memorable.

6. Video: PHT’s top five moments from 2014

Dec 24, 2014, 3:28 PM EST

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

Not surprisingly, the Kings feature prominently.

7. Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’

Dec 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EST

San Jose Sharks v Anaheim Ducks Getty Images

League rules that Jackman wasn’t expecting to be punched, “nor should he be.”

8. Sens take next step towards new downtown arena

Dec 24, 2014, 12:23 PM EST

Eugene Melnyk Getty Images

Owner Eugene Melnyk has called the potential move a “game-changer.”

9. Is Loui Eriksson starting to get it together?

Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST

LouiEriksson Getty Images

“We’re seeing some of his best hockey,” Claude Julien said.

10. ‘Las Vegas is a hockey city,’ Foley tells prospective ticket buyers

Dec 24, 2014, 11:18 AM EST

LasVegasHockey

And they’re planning to start taking deposits for the 2016-17 season.

11. Avs ultimately plan on sending Pickard back to AHL

Dec 24, 2014, 10:24 AM EST

Calvin Pickard AP

Semyon Varlamov’s shutout probably makes that a more comfortable idea.

12. Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski

Dec 24, 2014, 9:43 AM EST

Matt Bartkowski, Marcus Foligno, Brian Gionta AP

A controversial check left Buffalo winger Brian Gionta injured.

13. Jagr: ‘A break? I don’t believe in this’

Dec 24, 2014, 12:30 AM EST

Jaromir Jagr Getty Images

The Devils enter the Christmas holidays on a two-game skid.

14. Tyler Johnson’s hat trick leads Lightning over Penguins

Dec 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST

Carolina Hurricanes v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

Tampa rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy picked up his second career win.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches