Newest Ranger John Scott invites Jeremy Lin to punch him in the hallway

Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

john scott AP

A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.

“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)

Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.

See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.

“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.

“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”

Call it workplace vioLINce.

/I’ll show my way out.

Latest Posts
  1. Arbitrator awards Marcus Johansson $3.75M contract

Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Marcus Johansson Getty Images

That’s close to the middle between his and Washington’s requests.

2. Maloney: RFA Domingue will play in Europe

Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Louis Domingue Getty Images

The decision surprised Arizona’s general manager.

3. Siegenthaler signs entry-level contract with Caps

Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Jonas Siegenthaler Getty Images

The defenseman spent the 2014-15 campaign in the Swiss League.

4. One month later, Mike Richards’ future remains murky

Jul 31, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

There is a key deadline approaching though.

5. Subban working out with former Olympian Ben Johnson

Jul 31, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT

P.K. Subban Getty Images

Johnson won a gold medal in 1988, but it was taken away because of a positive steroids test.

6. Quebecor seeks partners in Quebec City bid

Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Calgary Flames v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.

7. How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos?

Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.

8. Report: Further coaching hires expected for Sharks

Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT

Peter DeBoer Getty Images

Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.

9. Habs’ Galchenyuk inks two-year extension

Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT

Alex Galchenyuk Getty Images

The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.

10. Flames prospect Kylington cleared to play in North America

Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT

Oliver Kylington Getty Images

At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.

11. Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal

Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT

Jakub Voracek Getty Images

The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.

12. Zubrus clears waivers, is ‘surprised’ by buyout

Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT

Dainius Zubrus Getty Images

The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.

13. Coyotes want long-term deal with Glendale

Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT

PNI Coyotes Deal 0611 PNI Coyotes Deal 0611

“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”

14. Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M

Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Rangers - Game One Getty Images

Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches