Mar 1, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
A couple of weeks ago, John Scott — then a member of the Chicago Blackhawks — took in a Knicks game with teammates Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. While Kane was impressed with New York point guard Jeremy Lin (“He definitely dished,” Kane said), the 6-foot-8, 270-pound enforcer was less enthralled.
“Not very impressed — I think D-Rose can take him,” Scott told reporters, pledging his Windy City allegiance to Bulls PG Derrick Rose. (He also said Lin needed to work on his defense.)
Little did Scott know that comment would eventually haunt him.
See, Scott’s now a member of the New York Rangers, having been acquired at the trade deadline. That means he now works in the heart of Linsanity — Madison Square Garden — and, as such, was asked on Wednesday if he’d like to clarify his earlier Lin-alysis.
“No, it’s O.K.,” Scott said. “You can’t kill a guy for offering his opinion. I was just saying he had one weakness to work on. Most of us have a lot more than that. Look at me. No one thought I could make it to the N.H.L., and there are a lot of people who still don’t think I belong.
“I haven’t come close to reaching his level, and I never will, but I can relate to Jeremy. I hope I get to meet him soon at the Garden or the practice facility. For what I said, he can even punch me in the hallway if he wants to.”
Call it workplace vioLINce.
/I’ll show my way out.
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 11
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 9
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 9
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 94
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)