Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Earlier this week we wrote about the push to ban fighting in junior hockey. But if you ask Milan Lucic, that would be a bad idea.
“I’m totally against it,” Lucic told The Province on Wednesday.
“I think there will be more injuries because there’d be no fear of fighting. The game will become dirtier. And, for myself, I don’t think I could have made the NHL the way I did without it.”
Lucic was a frequent fighter during his two seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL.
His old coach, Don Hay – still behind the bench in Vancouver – agrees with Lucic, but for a different reason.
“If they have fighting in the NHL, I don’t think it’s fair to not have our players exposed to that,” said Hay.
Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner concurs.
“We’re on a very, very dangerous slope,” he told the Windsor Star.
“We’re preparing guys for the next level and if you toughen the rules and get rid of it (fighting) in the game, it would have to coincide with the NHL and AHL.
“If they’re not doing it, then you’re putting kids (looking to go pro) in a tough situation.”
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)