Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EST
Earlier this week we wrote about the push to ban fighting in junior hockey. But if you ask Milan Lucic, that would be a bad idea.
“I’m totally against it,” Lucic told The Province on Wednesday.
“I think there will be more injuries because there’d be no fear of fighting. The game will become dirtier. And, for myself, I don’t think I could have made the NHL the way I did without it.”
Lucic was a frequent fighter during his two seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL.
His old coach, Don Hay – still behind the bench in Vancouver – agrees with Lucic, but for a different reason.
“If they have fighting in the NHL, I don’t think it’s fair to not have our players exposed to that,” said Hay.
Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner concurs.
“We’re on a very, very dangerous slope,” he told the Windsor Star.
“We’re preparing guys for the next level and if you toughen the rules and get rid of it (fighting) in the game, it would have to coincide with the NHL and AHL.
“If they’re not doing it, then you’re putting kids (looking to go pro) in a tough situation.”
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 0
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 9
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 79
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)