Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Earlier this week we wrote about the push to ban fighting in junior hockey. But if you ask Milan Lucic, that would be a bad idea.
“I’m totally against it,” Lucic told The Province on Wednesday.
“I think there will be more injuries because there’d be no fear of fighting. The game will become dirtier. And, for myself, I don’t think I could have made the NHL the way I did without it.”
Lucic was a frequent fighter during his two seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL.
His old coach, Don Hay – still behind the bench in Vancouver – agrees with Lucic, but for a different reason.
“If they have fighting in the NHL, I don’t think it’s fair to not have our players exposed to that,” said Hay.
Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner concurs.
“We’re on a very, very dangerous slope,” he told the Windsor Star.
“We’re preparing guys for the next level and if you toughen the rules and get rid of it (fighting) in the game, it would have to coincide with the NHL and AHL.
“If they’re not doing it, then you’re putting kids (looking to go pro) in a tough situation.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)