Mar 1, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Earlier this week we wrote about the push to ban fighting in junior hockey. But if you ask Milan Lucic, that would be a bad idea.
“I’m totally against it,” Lucic told The Province on Wednesday.
“I think there will be more injuries because there’d be no fear of fighting. The game will become dirtier. And, for myself, I don’t think I could have made the NHL the way I did without it.”
Lucic was a frequent fighter during his two seasons with the Vancouver Giants of the WHL.
His old coach, Don Hay – still behind the bench in Vancouver – agrees with Lucic, but for a different reason.
“If they have fighting in the NHL, I don’t think it’s fair to not have our players exposed to that,” said Hay.
Windsor Spitfires coach Bob Boughner concurs.
“We’re on a very, very dangerous slope,” he told the Windsor Star.
“We’re preparing guys for the next level and if you toughen the rules and get rid of it (fighting) in the game, it would have to coincide with the NHL and AHL.
“If they’re not doing it, then you’re putting kids (looking to go pro) in a tough situation.”
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)