Mar 1, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Wondering when Niklas Lidstrom might return to the Detroit lineup? Well, you’re not alone — head coach Mike Babcock is wondering as well.
“It’s a good question,” Babcock told the Detroit News when asked about Lidstrom’s return date. “I don’t know the answer to that.”
Lidstrom was held out of Tuesday’s 5-2 win over Columbus after taking a puck off the foot during Saturday’s loss to Colorado. The Detroit captain hasn’t practiced since and seems in real danger of missing his second straight game, a rarity for one of the most durable players in league history — Lidstrom has missed only 36 out of a possible 1,848 games, regular season and playoffs, during his 20-year career.
“We sent him back for tests,” Babcock explained. “He’s still sore. We adjusted his skate so he could skate, and we’ll see what happens.”
Getting Lidstrom back would be huge for Detroit’s battered blueline. Kyle Quincey (groin) was also held out of the Columbus game — though he says he feels fine and ready to play Friday — while fellow defenseman Jonathan Ericsson will be out for another 4-5 weeks with a fractured wrist. The Red Wings are classifying it as a “chipped bone” and have cleared Ericsson to resume skating tomorrow.
UPDATE: The Red Wings official Twitter feed reports Lidstrom has a deep bone bruise and will miss both Friday’s game against Minnesota and Sunday’s game against Chicago.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)