Mar 1, 2012, 5:01 PM EST
Wondering when Niklas Lidstrom might return to the Detroit lineup? Well, you’re not alone — head coach Mike Babcock is wondering as well.
“It’s a good question,” Babcock told the Detroit News when asked about Lidstrom’s return date. “I don’t know the answer to that.”
Lidstrom was held out of Tuesday’s 5-2 win over Columbus after taking a puck off the foot during Saturday’s loss to Colorado. The Detroit captain hasn’t practiced since and seems in real danger of missing his second straight game, a rarity for one of the most durable players in league history — Lidstrom has missed only 36 out of a possible 1,848 games, regular season and playoffs, during his 20-year career.
“We sent him back for tests,” Babcock explained. “He’s still sore. We adjusted his skate so he could skate, and we’ll see what happens.”
Getting Lidstrom back would be huge for Detroit’s battered blueline. Kyle Quincey (groin) was also held out of the Columbus game — though he says he feels fine and ready to play Friday — while fellow defenseman Jonathan Ericsson will be out for another 4-5 weeks with a fractured wrist. The Red Wings are classifying it as a “chipped bone” and have cleared Ericsson to resume skating tomorrow.
UPDATE: The Red Wings official Twitter feed reports Lidstrom has a deep bone bruise and will miss both Friday’s game against Minnesota and Sunday’s game against Chicago.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 8
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 8
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 23
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)