Mar 1, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
Wondering when Niklas Lidstrom might return to the Detroit lineup? Well, you’re not alone — head coach Mike Babcock is wondering as well.
“It’s a good question,” Babcock told the Detroit News when asked about Lidstrom’s return date. “I don’t know the answer to that.”
Lidstrom was held out of Tuesday’s 5-2 win over Columbus after taking a puck off the foot during Saturday’s loss to Colorado. The Detroit captain hasn’t practiced since and seems in real danger of missing his second straight game, a rarity for one of the most durable players in league history — Lidstrom has missed only 36 out of a possible 1,848 games, regular season and playoffs, during his 20-year career.
“We sent him back for tests,” Babcock explained. “He’s still sore. We adjusted his skate so he could skate, and we’ll see what happens.”
Getting Lidstrom back would be huge for Detroit’s battered blueline. Kyle Quincey (groin) was also held out of the Columbus game — though he says he feels fine and ready to play Friday — while fellow defenseman Jonathan Ericsson will be out for another 4-5 weeks with a fractured wrist. The Red Wings are classifying it as a “chipped bone” and have cleared Ericsson to resume skating tomorrow.
UPDATE: The Red Wings official Twitter feed reports Lidstrom has a deep bone bruise and will miss both Friday’s game against Minnesota and Sunday’s game against Chicago.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)