Mar 1, 2012, 9:32 PM EST
When you summarize Jaromir Jagr‘s career, Mario Lemieux’s name naturally comes up pretty early on. Now Jagr is right underneath his legendary former teammate in the NHL’s all-time points scoring ranks after producing two points (one goal, one assist) in the Philadelphia Flyers’ 6-3 win against the New York Islanders tonight.
Check out where Jagr ranks on the list of all-time points scorers now:
6. Steve Yzerman – 1,755 points
7. Lemieux – 1,723
8. Jagr - 1,643
9. Joe Sakic – 1,641
10. Phil Esposito – 1,590
For you non-math majors out there, Jagr would need 80 points to tie Lemieux for seventh all-time. The future Hall of Famer has expressed interest in playing at least another season, so that could be an awfully interesting story to watch.
Jagr added a little suspense after tying Sakic on Feb. 21, as he was unable to separate himself in three pointless games. He now has 44 points in 54 games so far this season, which exceeds almost any prediction for his production as he entered the season at 39 years old. (He turned 40 this season.)
Jaromir Jagr is also climbing the ranks – and breathing down the necks of Lemieux and Yzerman – in terms of career goals scored. Another interesting thing to watch will be his close race with the Finnish Flash for active goal-scorers by the time this season is over.
7. Mark Messier – 694 goals
8. Yzerman – 692
9. Lemieux – 690
10. Luc Robitaille – 668
11. Jagr – 663
12. Selanne – 658
No doubt about it, Jagr is really adding to his legacy this season. Yet much like Selanne, his magic hasn’t been relegated to the past alone.
(It kinda makes you wonder where he’d be if he didn’t spend three years in the KHL, though, doesn’t it?)
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 1
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 15
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 28