Mar 1, 2012, 8:23 PM EST
Injuries have been one of the 22-year-old forward’s biggest issues already, but now he has another hurdle to clear. Van Riemsdyk broke his left foot while blocking a shot in tonight’s game against the New York Islanders and (obviously) won’t return to action.
Update: Frank Seravalli passes along a report that the initial timetable is six to eight weeks, but that’s not official.
JVR’s production has been disappointing so far in 2011-12, but the Flyers might miss him if he cannot get healthy by the playoffs in April. That’s the time when he made his money last year, after all.
It’s not all bad news for the Flyers franchise tonight, however, as Jaromir Jagr collected a goal and assist already to stand alone in eighth place all-time among NHL points scorers. More on that once it’s determined how far he’ll finish the night ahead of now-ninth place legend Joe Sakic.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans have a right to be upset with St. Louis 2
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)