Mar 1, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
From the “Where did this come from?” file…
Former Hockey Night in Canada panelist and Hockey Hall of Fame writer Al Strachan decided Thursday was the day to anoint Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers the NHL’s most useless player.
Not sure what Strachan’s beef with Mayers is, though it’s clear why Mayers is on the radar — Strachan covered the Leafs for years and Mayers is a former Leaf.
(Mayers’ Blackhawks beat the Leafs last night as well.)
Mayers also recently discussed misconceptions about the pressure of playing in Toronto — specifically, the “fallacy” of it being a difficult city to play in. The 37-year-old spent one-and-a-half seasons in the T-Dot, appearing in over 100 games.
As you’d expect from someone that averages 12 fights a year, Mayers didn’t take Strachan’s comments lying down. He fired back with a string of Twitter jabs, screencapped here:
In closing, it must be mentioned that Mayers is definitely not the most useless cook in the league. Check out the Miso glazed Chilean sea bass and bison strip he made in late December.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 13
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 28
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42