Mar 1, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
From the “Where did this come from?” file…
Former Hockey Night in Canada panelist and Hockey Hall of Fame writer Al Strachan decided Thursday was the day to anoint Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers the NHL’s most useless player.
Not sure what Strachan’s beef with Mayers is, though it’s clear why Mayers is on the radar — Strachan covered the Leafs for years and Mayers is a former Leaf.
(Mayers’ Blackhawks beat the Leafs last night as well.)
Mayers also recently discussed misconceptions about the pressure of playing in Toronto — specifically, the “fallacy” of it being a difficult city to play in. The 37-year-old spent one-and-a-half seasons in the T-Dot, appearing in over 100 games.
As you’d expect from someone that averages 12 fights a year, Mayers didn’t take Strachan’s comments lying down. He fired back with a string of Twitter jabs, screencapped here:
In closing, it must be mentioned that Mayers is definitely not the most useless cook in the league. Check out the Miso glazed Chilean sea bass and bison strip he made in late December.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 4
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 18
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 44
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 46
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38