Mar 1, 2012, 4:29 PM EST
From the “Where did this come from?” file…
Former Hockey Night in Canada panelist and Hockey Hall of Fame writer Al Strachan decided Thursday was the day to anoint Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers the NHL’s most useless player.
Not sure what Strachan’s beef with Mayers is, though it’s clear why Mayers is on the radar — Strachan covered the Leafs for years and Mayers is a former Leaf.
(Mayers’ Blackhawks beat the Leafs last night as well.)
Mayers also recently discussed misconceptions about the pressure of playing in Toronto — specifically, the “fallacy” of it being a difficult city to play in. The 37-year-old spent one-and-a-half seasons in the T-Dot, appearing in over 100 games.
As you’d expect from someone that averages 12 fights a year, Mayers didn’t take Strachan’s comments lying down. He fired back with a string of Twitter jabs, screencapped here:
In closing, it must be mentioned that Mayers is definitely not the most useless cook in the league. Check out the Miso glazed Chilean sea bass and bison strip he made in late December.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)