Mar 1, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
From the “Where did this come from?” file…
Former Hockey Night in Canada panelist and Hockey Hall of Fame writer Al Strachan decided Thursday was the day to anoint Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers the NHL’s most useless player.
Not sure what Strachan’s beef with Mayers is, though it’s clear why Mayers is on the radar — Strachan covered the Leafs for years and Mayers is a former Leaf.
(Mayers’ Blackhawks beat the Leafs last night as well.)
Mayers also recently discussed misconceptions about the pressure of playing in Toronto — specifically, the “fallacy” of it being a difficult city to play in. The 37-year-old spent one-and-a-half seasons in the T-Dot, appearing in over 100 games.
As you’d expect from someone that averages 12 fights a year, Mayers didn’t take Strachan’s comments lying down. He fired back with a string of Twitter jabs, screencapped here:
In closing, it must be mentioned that Mayers is definitely not the most useless cook in the league. Check out the Miso glazed Chilean sea bass and bison strip he made in late December.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)