Mar 1, 2012, 4:29 PM EST
From the “Where did this come from?” file…
Former Hockey Night in Canada panelist and Hockey Hall of Fame writer Al Strachan decided Thursday was the day to anoint Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers the NHL’s most useless player.
Not sure what Strachan’s beef with Mayers is, though it’s clear why Mayers is on the radar — Strachan covered the Leafs for years and Mayers is a former Leaf.
(Mayers’ Blackhawks beat the Leafs last night as well.)
Mayers also recently discussed misconceptions about the pressure of playing in Toronto — specifically, the “fallacy” of it being a difficult city to play in. The 37-year-old spent one-and-a-half seasons in the T-Dot, appearing in over 100 games.
As you’d expect from someone that averages 12 fights a year, Mayers didn’t take Strachan’s comments lying down. He fired back with a string of Twitter jabs, screencapped here:
In closing, it must be mentioned that Mayers is definitely not the most useless cook in the league. Check out the Miso glazed Chilean sea bass and bison strip he made in late December.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)