Mar 1, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Out since Jan. 19 with acute thrombophlebitis (blood clot) in his lower left leg, defenseman Henrik Tallinder is unsure when he’ll rejoin the New Jersey Devils lineup.
Or, if he’ll rejoin the lineup at all.
The Devils said Tallinder’s original diagnosis was for 6-8 weeks of recovery time — it’ll be six weeks this Thursday — but the 33-year-old rearguard figures it’ll be longer than that.
“I have regular doctor checkups but there is no quick way to heal. It takes me the same amount of time as anyone else to heal,” he told the Star-Ledger, speaking for the the first time since his ailment was discovered. “I feel good — no pain — but I can still feel it. It’s kind of like stiffness.
“[Recovery is] not too good. You think you can skate more, but you can’t.”
Tallinder is in his second season of a four-year, $13.5 million deal with the Devils. His first season in New Jersey was solid — he played all 82 games, registered 16 points and played over 22 minutes a night — which explains his frustration with year two. The Devils are surging and appear to be playoff-bound, yet Tallinder can’t be a part of it.
That said, Tallinder knows the severity of his situation and realizes that his condition requires proper treatment.
“When it happens you think, ‘I can deal with this.’ I mean, as a hockey player you are used to playing with pain,” he said. “Then you realize the consequences and it’s, ‘Whoa!’
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)