Mar 1, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Out since Jan. 19 with acute thrombophlebitis (blood clot) in his lower left leg, defenseman Henrik Tallinder is unsure when he’ll rejoin the New Jersey Devils lineup.
Or, if he’ll rejoin the lineup at all.
The Devils said Tallinder’s original diagnosis was for 6-8 weeks of recovery time — it’ll be six weeks this Thursday — but the 33-year-old rearguard figures it’ll be longer than that.
“I have regular doctor checkups but there is no quick way to heal. It takes me the same amount of time as anyone else to heal,” he told the Star-Ledger, speaking for the the first time since his ailment was discovered. “I feel good — no pain — but I can still feel it. It’s kind of like stiffness.
“[Recovery is] not too good. You think you can skate more, but you can’t.”
Tallinder is in his second season of a four-year, $13.5 million deal with the Devils. His first season in New Jersey was solid — he played all 82 games, registered 16 points and played over 22 minutes a night — which explains his frustration with year two. The Devils are surging and appear to be playoff-bound, yet Tallinder can’t be a part of it.
That said, Tallinder knows the severity of his situation and realizes that his condition requires proper treatment.
“When it happens you think, ‘I can deal with this.’ I mean, as a hockey player you are used to playing with pain,” he said. “Then you realize the consequences and it’s, ‘Whoa!’
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)