Mar 1, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Out since Jan. 19 with acute thrombophlebitis (blood clot) in his lower left leg, defenseman Henrik Tallinder is unsure when he’ll rejoin the New Jersey Devils lineup.
Or, if he’ll rejoin the lineup at all.
The Devils said Tallinder’s original diagnosis was for 6-8 weeks of recovery time — it’ll be six weeks this Thursday — but the 33-year-old rearguard figures it’ll be longer than that.
“I have regular doctor checkups but there is no quick way to heal. It takes me the same amount of time as anyone else to heal,” he told the Star-Ledger, speaking for the the first time since his ailment was discovered. “I feel good — no pain — but I can still feel it. It’s kind of like stiffness.
“[Recovery is] not too good. You think you can skate more, but you can’t.”
Tallinder is in his second season of a four-year, $13.5 million deal with the Devils. His first season in New Jersey was solid — he played all 82 games, registered 16 points and played over 22 minutes a night — which explains his frustration with year two. The Devils are surging and appear to be playoff-bound, yet Tallinder can’t be a part of it.
That said, Tallinder knows the severity of his situation and realizes that his condition requires proper treatment.
“When it happens you think, ‘I can deal with this.’ I mean, as a hockey player you are used to playing with pain,” he said. “Then you realize the consequences and it’s, ‘Whoa!’
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (96)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games