Mar 1, 2012, 10:54 AM EDT
The Chicago Daily Herald’s Barry Rozner — one of Vancouver’s favorite columnists — is asking a serious question after Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews missed his fifth consecutive game with a suspected concussion:
It’s an interesting query. Toews hasn’t played since sustaining the “upper-body injury” on Feb. 19 (Chicago hasn’t confirmed he has a concussion) and, most distressingly, hasn’t even been able to skate. Toews did some light off-ice exercise on Wednesday, including riding a stationary bike, but there appears to be no change in his recovery and still no timetable for return.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” head coach Joel Quenneville said. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
A few things to consider here:
1) Toews was involved in a single-vehicle accident last Thursday, leaving the scene in an ambulance. While he later told local newspapers he was fine and the accident was “nothing serious at all,” it certainly couldn’t have helped in his recovery.
2) A source told ChicagoNow.com that Toews’ injury is indeed a concussion, with another source claiming it was suffered on Feb. 10 against San Jose. Toews stayed in the Blackhawks lineup until Feb. 19, which begs the question — did he play five games with a concussion?
3) Chicago’s head injury protocol has come under scrutiny after several players — Niklas Hjalmarsson, Marcus Kruger and Brent Seabrook — returned too quickly from their respective aliments and were forced to re-exit the lineup.
Apr 19, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
He’s missed six games with a right hand injury.
Apr 19, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Changes in the crease the theme of the day.
Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 AM EDT
It will be interesting to see what happens as this series heads to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 1:40 AM EDT
Series shifts back to Winnipeg.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 6
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 54
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 55
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 162
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 30
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (164)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)