Mar 1, 2012, 10:54 AM EDT
The Chicago Daily Herald’s Barry Rozner — one of Vancouver’s favorite columnists — is asking a serious question after Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews missed his fifth consecutive game with a suspected concussion:
It’s an interesting query. Toews hasn’t played since sustaining the “upper-body injury” on Feb. 19 (Chicago hasn’t confirmed he has a concussion) and, most distressingly, hasn’t even been able to skate. Toews did some light off-ice exercise on Wednesday, including riding a stationary bike, but there appears to be no change in his recovery and still no timetable for return.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” head coach Joel Quenneville said. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
A few things to consider here:
1) Toews was involved in a single-vehicle accident last Thursday, leaving the scene in an ambulance. While he later told local newspapers he was fine and the accident was “nothing serious at all,” it certainly couldn’t have helped in his recovery.
2) A source told ChicagoNow.com that Toews’ injury is indeed a concussion, with another source claiming it was suffered on Feb. 10 against San Jose. Toews stayed in the Blackhawks lineup until Feb. 19, which begs the question — did he play five games with a concussion?
3) Chicago’s head injury protocol has come under scrutiny after several players — Niklas Hjalmarsson, Marcus Kruger and Brent Seabrook — returned too quickly from their respective aliments and were forced to re-exit the lineup.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Milbury doesn’t understand why the Pens would extend him.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
NHL Insider joined Kathryn Tappen live in studio.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
Blueliner’s had zero luck in the health department.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
“We had no choice but to.”
Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
Charles Wang remains in charge until then.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
Worth a reported $16 million.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Not clear yet if charges will be filed.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
More tough luck.
Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
No word yet on a makeup date.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
Anders Lee on his way up?
Oct 22, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
He’ll join Norfolk on a PTO.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Senators still scheduled to host the Maple Leafs tonight.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 3
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)