Mar 1, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
Call me a cynic – Okay, take a number to call me a cynic – but the more agent Ritch Winter denies on Twitter that he asked for a trade for Cody Hodgson, the more I believe there’s fire in all that billowing smoke engulfing the 22-year-old’s did-he-or-didn’t-he exit from the Vancouver Canucks.
In case you don’t follow @hockeyagentdad, here’s what Winter tweeted yesterday:
Along those same lines, here’s what he tweeted today:
(Note: Mike = Canucks GM Mike Gillis)
But here’s where it gets curious — Winter also tweeted that Hodgson “had a great meeting” with Canucks coach Alain Vigneault on Saturday. Just one problem with that assertion — Vigneault says there was no meeting.
“We played Friday in Jersey, we flew Friday to Dallas and had an afternoon game on Sunday in Dallas, so I definitely didn’t meet anybody Saturday,” said Vigneault. “That being said, Cody is now gone and we’re going to wish him the best of luck and we really hope it works out for him.”
And when Winter was pressed on it by Jim Jamieson of The Province?
Anyway, it’s all very strange. Combine the above with Gillis’ reluctance to comment and, well, it should be fun when Hodgson and the Sabres are in town Saturday.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)