Mar 1, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
Call me a cynic – Okay, take a number to call me a cynic – but the more agent Ritch Winter denies on Twitter that he asked for a trade for Cody Hodgson, the more I believe there’s fire in all that billowing smoke engulfing the 22-year-old’s did-he-or-didn’t-he exit from the Vancouver Canucks.
In case you don’t follow @hockeyagentdad, here’s what Winter tweeted yesterday:
Along those same lines, here’s what he tweeted today:
(Note: Mike = Canucks GM Mike Gillis)
But here’s where it gets curious — Winter also tweeted that Hodgson “had a great meeting” with Canucks coach Alain Vigneault on Saturday. Just one problem with that assertion — Vigneault says there was no meeting.
“We played Friday in Jersey, we flew Friday to Dallas and had an afternoon game on Sunday in Dallas, so I definitely didn’t meet anybody Saturday,” said Vigneault. “That being said, Cody is now gone and we’re going to wish him the best of luck and we really hope it works out for him.”
And when Winter was pressed on it by Jim Jamieson of The Province?
Anyway, it’s all very strange. Combine the above with Gillis’ reluctance to comment and, well, it should be fun when Hodgson and the Sabres are in town Saturday.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 37
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 59
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1