Mar 1, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
Call me a cynic – Okay, take a number to call me a cynic – but the more agent Ritch Winter denies on Twitter that he asked for a trade for Cody Hodgson, the more I believe there’s fire in all that billowing smoke engulfing the 22-year-old’s did-he-or-didn’t-he exit from the Vancouver Canucks.
In case you don’t follow @hockeyagentdad, here’s what Winter tweeted yesterday:
Along those same lines, here’s what he tweeted today:
(Note: Mike = Canucks GM Mike Gillis)
But here’s where it gets curious — Winter also tweeted that Hodgson “had a great meeting” with Canucks coach Alain Vigneault on Saturday. Just one problem with that assertion — Vigneault says there was no meeting.
“We played Friday in Jersey, we flew Friday to Dallas and had an afternoon game on Sunday in Dallas, so I definitely didn’t meet anybody Saturday,” said Vigneault. “That being said, Cody is now gone and we’re going to wish him the best of luck and we really hope it works out for him.”
And when Winter was pressed on it by Jim Jamieson of The Province?
Anyway, it’s all very strange. Combine the above with Gillis’ reluctance to comment and, well, it should be fun when Hodgson and the Sabres are in town Saturday.
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Eastern Conference Final Game 7 7
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)