Mar 1, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT
Call me a cynic – Okay, take a number to call me a cynic – but the more agent Ritch Winter denies on Twitter that he asked for a trade for Cody Hodgson, the more I believe there’s fire in all that billowing smoke engulfing the 22-year-old’s did-he-or-didn’t-he exit from the Vancouver Canucks.
In case you don’t follow @hockeyagentdad, here’s what Winter tweeted yesterday:
Along those same lines, here’s what he tweeted today:
(Note: Mike = Canucks GM Mike Gillis)
But here’s where it gets curious — Winter also tweeted that Hodgson “had a great meeting” with Canucks coach Alain Vigneault on Saturday. Just one problem with that assertion — Vigneault says there was no meeting.
“We played Friday in Jersey, we flew Friday to Dallas and had an afternoon game on Sunday in Dallas, so I definitely didn’t meet anybody Saturday,” said Vigneault. “That being said, Cody is now gone and we’re going to wish him the best of luck and we really hope it works out for him.”
And when Winter was pressed on it by Jim Jamieson of The Province?
Anyway, it’s all very strange. Combine the above with Gillis’ reluctance to comment and, well, it should be fun when Hodgson and the Sabres are in town Saturday.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)