Mar 1, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
Eight months after being violently separated from each other despite dual long-term contracts in Philadelphia, Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi decided to pull the trigger on a deal that reunited Jeff Carter and Mike Richards.
Lombardi provided this interesting quote to Kings reporter Rich Hammond regarding what some might label a risky move to bring them back together.
“Knowing these kids as people, deep down I think they are your classic Canadian boys who will dream of winning the Stanley Cup,’’ Lombardi said. “That will never leave them. Get some stuff out of your system and get back on track. You’re banking on what’s deeply inside of them, and they can get sidetracked like any young person.”
In his first two games as a King, Carter has been unable to register a point while Los Angeles lost a close one to Nashville and pounded Minnesota. A fairly large gap between games (Tuesday to Saturday) should give Carter a little time to digest the changes and take care of the little-but-actually-kinda-big-adjustments any player goes through after being moved.
And yes, maybe he’ll take the chance to “celebrate” the fact that he’s back with his old buddy and once-again teammate Richards.
(Click here to read that story, which is jam-packed with interesting details and quotes.)
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks