Mar 1, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
McPhee noted that Ovechkin’s commitment to the game is “a lot better than it was,” but yikes – 242 pounds?
“He’s in terrific shape right now,” McPhee said. “And guys do different things in the summer. Ovi’s usually gotten by by just being a great athlete. Show up and play. And we’ve talked to him, that doesn’t happen in this league. At some point it has to kick in, you have to train, and he’s at 224 right now. And he hasn’t been at 224 in a few years.”
McPhee added: “He played at 242 once, and he got suspended for hitting a few people. And he was crushing guys, and he loved crushing guys, and we said you know what, Bruce [Boudreau] always thought he was a better player at about 227… And you can see it when he’s moving out there, he’s flying.”
It’s not clear whether Ovechkin bulked up to 242 pounds because “he loved crushing guys” or because he loved crushing booze and buffets. Teammate Brooks Laich said last year that Ovechkin is just “big boned”…
Anyway, McPhee also said he wants Dale Hunter to keep coaching next season and – since he believes injuries to Mike Green and Nicklas Backstrom are to blame for most of the team’s struggles – isn’t planning any big changes if the Caps miss the playoffs.
We wonder if owner Ted Leonsis feels the same way.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)