Mar 1, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
As Ducks play-by-play man John Ahlers said in the video, the move was born out of frustration. Getzlaf picked the fight even though his team had the goalie pulled and was searching for a pair of equalizing goals — a testament to how aggravating last night (and this season) has been for the Ducks captain.
Anaheim head coach Bruce said he saw it coming.
“You can’t be in control all the time,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “He’s gone a long time without scoring.
“He might put on a lite bit of a façade to you guys but you got to believe it’s bothering him. Just being a captain and the leader, he wants to score more than anybody. And he’s trying harder. He’s shooting the puck a lot more and it’s just not going in.”
While the Ducks have stepped their collective game up recently — they’re 8-3-2 over their last 13 — Getzlaf continues to flatline. He registered just nine points over 15 games in February and is mired in a 17-game goalless drought. All told, the Ducks captain has just eight goals on the season, one less than the likes of Mike Santorelli, Tim Brent, Daniel Paille and Jay McClement.
Getzlaf put on a brave face following the game, calmly describing how Ryan Miller was outstanding last night before saying he and the Ducks needed a big effort this weekend against Calgary and Los Angeles.
But even when he said it, you could tell a season’s worth of frustration had taken it’s toll.
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 0
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)