Mar 1, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
As Ducks play-by-play man John Ahlers said in the video, the move was born out of frustration. Getzlaf picked the fight even though his team had the goalie pulled and was searching for a pair of equalizing goals — a testament to how aggravating last night (and this season) has been for the Ducks captain.
Anaheim head coach Bruce said he saw it coming.
“You can’t be in control all the time,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “He’s gone a long time without scoring.
“He might put on a lite bit of a façade to you guys but you got to believe it’s bothering him. Just being a captain and the leader, he wants to score more than anybody. And he’s trying harder. He’s shooting the puck a lot more and it’s just not going in.”
While the Ducks have stepped their collective game up recently — they’re 8-3-2 over their last 13 — Getzlaf continues to flatline. He registered just nine points over 15 games in February and is mired in a 17-game goalless drought. All told, the Ducks captain has just eight goals on the season, one less than the likes of Mike Santorelli, Tim Brent, Daniel Paille and Jay McClement.
Getzlaf put on a brave face following the game, calmly describing how Ryan Miller was outstanding last night before saying he and the Ducks needed a big effort this weekend against Calgary and Los Angeles.
But even when he said it, you could tell a season’s worth of frustration had taken it’s toll.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 17
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 70
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)