Mar 1, 2012, 3:07 PM EST
As Ducks play-by-play man John Ahlers said in the video, the move was born out of frustration. Getzlaf picked the fight even though his team had the goalie pulled and was searching for a pair of equalizing goals — a testament to how aggravating last night (and this season) has been for the Ducks captain.
Anaheim head coach Bruce said he saw it coming.
“You can’t be in control all the time,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “He’s gone a long time without scoring.
“He might put on a lite bit of a façade to you guys but you got to believe it’s bothering him. Just being a captain and the leader, he wants to score more than anybody. And he’s trying harder. He’s shooting the puck a lot more and it’s just not going in.”
While the Ducks have stepped their collective game up recently — they’re 8-3-2 over their last 13 — Getzlaf continues to flatline. He registered just nine points over 15 games in February and is mired in a 17-game goalless drought. All told, the Ducks captain has just eight goals on the season, one less than the likes of Mike Santorelli, Tim Brent, Daniel Paille and Jay McClement.
Getzlaf put on a brave face following the game, calmly describing how Ryan Miller was outstanding last night before saying he and the Ducks needed a big effort this weekend against Calgary and Los Angeles.
But even when he said it, you could tell a season’s worth of frustration had taken it’s toll.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)