Mar 1, 2012, 3:07 PM EDT
As Ducks play-by-play man John Ahlers said in the video, the move was born out of frustration. Getzlaf picked the fight even though his team had the goalie pulled and was searching for a pair of equalizing goals — a testament to how aggravating last night (and this season) has been for the Ducks captain.
Anaheim head coach Bruce said he saw it coming.
“You can’t be in control all the time,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “He’s gone a long time without scoring.
“He might put on a lite bit of a façade to you guys but you got to believe it’s bothering him. Just being a captain and the leader, he wants to score more than anybody. And he’s trying harder. He’s shooting the puck a lot more and it’s just not going in.”
While the Ducks have stepped their collective game up recently — they’re 8-3-2 over their last 13 — Getzlaf continues to flatline. He registered just nine points over 15 games in February and is mired in a 17-game goalless drought. All told, the Ducks captain has just eight goals on the season, one less than the likes of Mike Santorelli, Tim Brent, Daniel Paille and Jay McClement.
Getzlaf put on a brave face following the game, calmly describing how Ryan Miller was outstanding last night before saying he and the Ducks needed a big effort this weekend against Calgary and Los Angeles.
But even when he said it, you could tell a season’s worth of frustration had taken it’s toll.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)