Feb 29, 2012, 12:02 AM EDT
From the Los Angeles Kings perspective, Tuesday’s game gives reason to believe that the team might just be the same contender-turned-underdog in their conference as the Washington Capitals could be in the East. Jeff Carter didn’t power the attack, but the bottom line is that a 4-0 win is exactly what they were looking for.
Of course, a big victory often requires a victim and the Minnesota Wild are in a bad way right now. Despite out-shooting the Kings 26-15, the falling squad frequently looked like a team that is fading from the playoff picture.
Technically, the Wild aren’t totally out of the mix since they’re just five points removed from the three-way tie for eighth place* and Sports Club Stats still gives them a 4.5 percent chance at a berth.
Even so, I must admit that Mikko Koivu‘s injury situation kinda feels like last season in that it might sound the death knell for Minnesota’s playoff hopes once again. (They faded in 2010-11 thanks in part to his injury.)
The team announced that their versatile captain will miss at least two more weeks with whatever exactly is bothering him. Koivu will then be re-evaluated by team doctors. I hate to say it, but there might not be much motivation to push him back into action if he ends up making progress by that mid-March target.
The Kings are still outside the West’s top eight and very well might miss the postseason, but it was tough to shake the feeling that the Los Angeles-Minnesota matchup featured a serious playoff contender and a team whose best moments are long gone.
* – The Kings (10th), Colorado Avalanche (ninth) and Dallas Stars (eighth) are currently joined at 70 points.
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 15
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 69
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (85)