Feb 29, 2012, 12:02 AM EDT
From the Los Angeles Kings perspective, Tuesday’s game gives reason to believe that the team might just be the same contender-turned-underdog in their conference as the Washington Capitals could be in the East. Jeff Carter didn’t power the attack, but the bottom line is that a 4-0 win is exactly what they were looking for.
Of course, a big victory often requires a victim and the Minnesota Wild are in a bad way right now. Despite out-shooting the Kings 26-15, the falling squad frequently looked like a team that is fading from the playoff picture.
Technically, the Wild aren’t totally out of the mix since they’re just five points removed from the three-way tie for eighth place* and Sports Club Stats still gives them a 4.5 percent chance at a berth.
Even so, I must admit that Mikko Koivu‘s injury situation kinda feels like last season in that it might sound the death knell for Minnesota’s playoff hopes once again. (They faded in 2010-11 thanks in part to his injury.)
The team announced that their versatile captain will miss at least two more weeks with whatever exactly is bothering him. Koivu will then be re-evaluated by team doctors. I hate to say it, but there might not be much motivation to push him back into action if he ends up making progress by that mid-March target.
The Kings are still outside the West’s top eight and very well might miss the postseason, but it was tough to shake the feeling that the Los Angeles-Minnesota matchup featured a serious playoff contender and a team whose best moments are long gone.
* – The Kings (10th), Colorado Avalanche (ninth) and Dallas Stars (eighth) are currently joined at 70 points.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)