Feb 29, 2012, 9:10 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins don’t visit the Dallas Stars very often, but Eric Nystrom might just make it easy for the two teams to find some vitriol in their rare matches. Nystrom knocked Penguins defenseman Kris Letang out of tonight’s game with this hit, which will surely be debated in many hockey circles:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Not debatable: this hit has scary implications for Letang and the Penguins since the defenseman already fought off a concussion thanks to a Max Pacioretty hit this season. (Note: it’s too early to know if that’s what Letang is dealing with, but it’s the natural fear.)
Debatable: the punishment that Nystrom deserves. Should he be suspended, fined or merely draw Pittsburgh’s ire for the rest of this game? Let us know in the comments.
For what it’s worth, Mike Milbury thinks that Nystrom should sit five games for the hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 1
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 64
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)