Feb 29, 2012, 9:10 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins don’t visit the Dallas Stars very often, but Eric Nystrom might just make it easy for the two teams to find some vitriol in their rare matches. Nystrom knocked Penguins defenseman Kris Letang out of tonight’s game with this hit, which will surely be debated in many hockey circles:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Not debatable: this hit has scary implications for Letang and the Penguins since the defenseman already fought off a concussion thanks to a Max Pacioretty hit this season. (Note: it’s too early to know if that’s what Letang is dealing with, but it’s the natural fear.)
Debatable: the punishment that Nystrom deserves. Should he be suspended, fined or merely draw Pittsburgh’s ire for the rest of this game? Let us know in the comments.
For what it’s worth, Mike Milbury thinks that Nystrom should sit five games for the hit:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25