Feb 29, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Mikko Koivu‘s absence from the Minnesota Wild lineup has been noticeable and it’s a sight Wild fans are going to have to get used to now.
Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reports that Koivu is being shut down without contact for the next two weeks to rest his injured left shoulder. Koivu re-aggravated the injury recently and now Wild GM Chuck Fletcher wants him to let it fully heal before getting back to action.
As Russo finds out from Fletcher, it’s an injury that Koivu tried to tough it out and play through just the same when he was re-injured in mid-February.
“His initial injury, he came back very quickly. It was a very aggressive return to play. He deserves a ton of credit. The team is obviously struggling, trying to survive, and he wanted to help.”
Yes, hockey players are tougher than you and I. With Koivu shut down now for the next two weeks and then having to rehab and get into game shape after that, the rest of Koivu’s season is in doubt. The Wild are still hanging on in the Western playoff race five points out of eighth, but without Koivu they’re in rough shape.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)