Feb 29, 2012, 9:43 AM EDT
Mikko Koivu‘s absence from the Minnesota Wild lineup has been noticeable and it’s a sight Wild fans are going to have to get used to now.
Michael Russo of the Star Tribune reports that Koivu is being shut down without contact for the next two weeks to rest his injured left shoulder. Koivu re-aggravated the injury recently and now Wild GM Chuck Fletcher wants him to let it fully heal before getting back to action.
As Russo finds out from Fletcher, it’s an injury that Koivu tried to tough it out and play through just the same when he was re-injured in mid-February.
“His initial injury, he came back very quickly. It was a very aggressive return to play. He deserves a ton of credit. The team is obviously struggling, trying to survive, and he wanted to help.”
Yes, hockey players are tougher than you and I. With Koivu shut down now for the next two weeks and then having to rehab and get into game shape after that, the rest of Koivu’s season is in doubt. The Wild are still hanging on in the Western playoff race five points out of eighth, but without Koivu they’re in rough shape.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 2
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 8
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)