Feb 29, 2012, 2:46 PM EST
Ryan Malone had a pretty epic outing in Tampa Bay’s 2-1 win over Montreal on Tuesday. He registered an assist, threw two hits and racked up 17 penalty minutes — including a rare aggressor game misconduct — trying to pound Habs defenseman Alexei Emelin.
Why the beef with Emelin? Let’s go to the video.
(For those wanting to jump ahead, here’s your FF guide:)
Malone hit on Emelin — 0:02
Emelin hit on Malone — 0:39
Malone jumps Emelin — 1:58
According to Damian Cristodero of TampaBay.com, Malone wasn’t as displeased with the hit as he was with Emelin refusing to fight him.
“It’s not old school hockey, it’s pretty much hockey,” Malone said. ” If they feel they can take a cheap shot at someone and then not stand up for themselves, that’s the way they play. I think I always played fair where if I take a cheap shot at someone you have to kind of pay your dues.”
When told Emelin no longer fights because his face got smashed in and rebuilt with metal plates after a 2009 scrap in the KHL, Malone said that was T.S. (which stands for Tethered Swimming, of course.)
Lightning head coach Guy Boucher stood behind Malone with his post-game comments.
“The blind hit he got there, that’s extremely dangerous,” Boucher said. “He had no puck. The puck didn’t even come close to him; a blind-side hit with no puck. we’re just lucky Malone is that tough that he could take that check. He took care of his own business.”
One final note about the aggressor game misconduct call — rule 46.2 describes it as “the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.”
Which, having re-watched the video, is a fairly accurate description.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)