Feb 29, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
There’s not much news coming out of Chicago about Jonathan Toews‘ suspected concussion — and for the Blackhawks, no news is not good news.
Toews is set to miss his fifth consecutive game Wednesday night against Toronto and there’s no clear timetable for his return. The ‘Hawks captain hasn’t skated since suffering the injury on Feb. 19 against St. Louis and only recently began participating in off-ice workouts, which included riding a stationary bike.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville told the Sun-Times. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
The ‘Hawks have lost three straight and seen their offense plummet without Toews in the lineup. They’ve scored just two goals over the last 180 minutes and are now 4-9-0 in the month of February, which has plummeted them to seventh in the Western Conference, just three points up on a slew of teams fighting for eighth (Dallas, Colorado and L.A. all have 70.)
Chicago winger Patrick Kane admits life has been difficult without Toews.
“It’s tough,” Kane said. “He’s a great player. He’s a big part of our team. Everyone knows that. But you’re going to have injuries throughout the season. They happen, so you’re going to have to deal with it.
“I know you can never replace a guy like Jonny, but at the same time, if you’re winning games without him, I’m sure it makes himself feel a little bit more at ease.”
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32