Feb 29, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
There’s not much news coming out of Chicago about Jonathan Toews‘ suspected concussion — and for the Blackhawks, no news is not good news.
Toews is set to miss his fifth consecutive game Wednesday night against Toronto and there’s no clear timetable for his return. The ‘Hawks captain hasn’t skated since suffering the injury on Feb. 19 against St. Louis and only recently began participating in off-ice workouts, which included riding a stationary bike.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville told the Sun-Times. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
The ‘Hawks have lost three straight and seen their offense plummet without Toews in the lineup. They’ve scored just two goals over the last 180 minutes and are now 4-9-0 in the month of February, which has plummeted them to seventh in the Western Conference, just three points up on a slew of teams fighting for eighth (Dallas, Colorado and L.A. all have 70.)
Chicago winger Patrick Kane admits life has been difficult without Toews.
“It’s tough,” Kane said. “He’s a great player. He’s a big part of our team. Everyone knows that. But you’re going to have injuries throughout the season. They happen, so you’re going to have to deal with it.
“I know you can never replace a guy like Jonny, but at the same time, if you’re winning games without him, I’m sure it makes himself feel a little bit more at ease.”
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 2
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 89
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL