Feb 29, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
There’s not much news coming out of Chicago about Jonathan Toews‘ suspected concussion — and for the Blackhawks, no news is not good news.
Toews is set to miss his fifth consecutive game Wednesday night against Toronto and there’s no clear timetable for his return. The ‘Hawks captain hasn’t skated since suffering the injury on Feb. 19 against St. Louis and only recently began participating in off-ice workouts, which included riding a stationary bike.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville told the Sun-Times. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
The ‘Hawks have lost three straight and seen their offense plummet without Toews in the lineup. They’ve scored just two goals over the last 180 minutes and are now 4-9-0 in the month of February, which has plummeted them to seventh in the Western Conference, just three points up on a slew of teams fighting for eighth (Dallas, Colorado and L.A. all have 70.)
Chicago winger Patrick Kane admits life has been difficult without Toews.
“It’s tough,” Kane said. “He’s a great player. He’s a big part of our team. Everyone knows that. But you’re going to have injuries throughout the season. They happen, so you’re going to have to deal with it.
“I know you can never replace a guy like Jonny, but at the same time, if you’re winning games without him, I’m sure it makes himself feel a little bit more at ease.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)