Feb 29, 2012, 1:57 PM EST
There’s not much news coming out of Chicago about Jonathan Toews‘ suspected concussion — and for the Blackhawks, no news is not good news.
Toews is set to miss his fifth consecutive game Wednesday night against Toronto and there’s no clear timetable for his return. The ‘Hawks captain hasn’t skated since suffering the injury on Feb. 19 against St. Louis and only recently began participating in off-ice workouts, which included riding a stationary bike.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville told the Sun-Times. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
The ‘Hawks have lost three straight and seen their offense plummet without Toews in the lineup. They’ve scored just two goals over the last 180 minutes and are now 4-9-0 in the month of February, which has plummeted them to seventh in the Western Conference, just three points up on a slew of teams fighting for eighth (Dallas, Colorado and L.A. all have 70.)
Chicago winger Patrick Kane admits life has been difficult without Toews.
“It’s tough,” Kane said. “He’s a great player. He’s a big part of our team. Everyone knows that. But you’re going to have injuries throughout the season. They happen, so you’re going to have to deal with it.
“I know you can never replace a guy like Jonny, but at the same time, if you’re winning games without him, I’m sure it makes himself feel a little bit more at ease.”
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (75)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)