Feb 29, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
There’s not much news coming out of Chicago about Jonathan Toews‘ suspected concussion — and for the Blackhawks, no news is not good news.
Toews is set to miss his fifth consecutive game Wednesday night against Toronto and there’s no clear timetable for his return. The ‘Hawks captain hasn’t skated since suffering the injury on Feb. 19 against St. Louis and only recently began participating in off-ice workouts, which included riding a stationary bike.
“We’ve got him going day-to-day,” Chicago head coach Joel Quenneville told the Sun-Times. “We’ll see how he’s progressing. Today is no change from yesterday, so hopefully he can get going soon and we can get him back on the ice.”
The ‘Hawks have lost three straight and seen their offense plummet without Toews in the lineup. They’ve scored just two goals over the last 180 minutes and are now 4-9-0 in the month of February, which has plummeted them to seventh in the Western Conference, just three points up on a slew of teams fighting for eighth (Dallas, Colorado and L.A. all have 70.)
Chicago winger Patrick Kane admits life has been difficult without Toews.
“It’s tough,” Kane said. “He’s a great player. He’s a big part of our team. Everyone knows that. But you’re going to have injuries throughout the season. They happen, so you’re going to have to deal with it.
“I know you can never replace a guy like Jonny, but at the same time, if you’re winning games without him, I’m sure it makes himself feel a little bit more at ease.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)