Feb 29, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
The Coyotes left thousands and thousands of hockey fans bitterly disappointed when they defeated the Canucks last night at Jobing.com Arena.
Oh right, it’s Phoenix.
Here’s what it looked like when Vancouver’s Alex Elder opened the scoring:
Phoenix was able to battle back and win 2-1 in a shootout, extending its undefeated-in-regulation streak to 11 games.
“It was nice,” Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith said, as per ArizonaSports.com. “It was obviously a passionate group and I respect that, but it was nice to get the two points and kind of quiet the building a little bit.”
Bit sad when you have to win a home game to quiet the crowd, but it was probably nice to play in front of a packed house. Phoenix’s average attendance is just 12,108, dead last in the NHL. Last night there were 16,691 in the seats.
“I think we’ve seen games like that before, when there’s fans from the other team there, I think it riles up our fans and their fans are going,” said Coyotes coach Dave Tippett. “It leads to a great atmosphere in the building.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)