Feb 29, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
The Coyotes left thousands and thousands of hockey fans bitterly disappointed when they defeated the Canucks last night at Jobing.com Arena.
Oh right, it’s Phoenix.
Here’s what it looked like when Vancouver’s Alex Elder opened the scoring:
Phoenix was able to battle back and win 2-1 in a shootout, extending its undefeated-in-regulation streak to 11 games.
“It was nice,” Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith said, as per ArizonaSports.com. “It was obviously a passionate group and I respect that, but it was nice to get the two points and kind of quiet the building a little bit.”
Bit sad when you have to win a home game to quiet the crowd, but it was probably nice to play in front of a packed house. Phoenix’s average attendance is just 12,108, dead last in the NHL. Last night there were 16,691 in the seats.
“I think we’ve seen games like that before, when there’s fans from the other team there, I think it riles up our fans and their fans are going,” said Coyotes coach Dave Tippett. “It leads to a great atmosphere in the building.”
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness