Feb 29, 2012, 2:43 PM EST
The Coyotes left thousands and thousands of hockey fans bitterly disappointed when they defeated the Canucks last night at Jobing.com Arena.
Oh right, it’s Phoenix.
Here’s what it looked like when Vancouver’s Alex Elder opened the scoring:
Phoenix was able to battle back and win 2-1 in a shootout, extending its undefeated-in-regulation streak to 11 games.
“It was nice,” Coyotes goaltender Mike Smith said, as per ArizonaSports.com. “It was obviously a passionate group and I respect that, but it was nice to get the two points and kind of quiet the building a little bit.”
Bit sad when you have to win a home game to quiet the crowd, but it was probably nice to play in front of a packed house. Phoenix’s average attendance is just 12,108, dead last in the NHL. Last night there were 16,691 in the seats.
“I think we’ve seen games like that before, when there’s fans from the other team there, I think it riles up our fans and their fans are going,” said Coyotes coach Dave Tippett. “It leads to a great atmosphere in the building.”
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 1
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 2
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)