Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, that might still be the case. Still, it’s hard to ignore the fact that Neuvirth has been the starter in every game during the team’s current three-game winning streak.
As CSNWashington.com’s Kellie Cowan points out, Neuvirth is making the most of this most recent opportunity. After losing three games in a row, Neuvirth oddly put together two straight no-decisions* and then this current three-game streak in which he’s allowed just five goals on 85 shots.
It’s a small sample size for a guy who’s still just putting up “average NHL goalie” numbers (9-9-3 record, .903 save percentage and 2.83 GAA), but considering the Caps’ far-from-certain playoff future, a little goalie competition could be a great thing.
* -On Feb. 20, Neuvirth allowed three goals on 33 shots against the Carolina Hurricanes. On the other end of the neutral appearance spectrum, Neuvirth stopped all 14 of the Ottawa Senators’ starts on Feb. 22.
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 51
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12