Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
In the grand scheme of things, that might still be the case. Still, it’s hard to ignore the fact that Neuvirth has been the starter in every game during the team’s current three-game winning streak.
As CSNWashington.com’s Kellie Cowan points out, Neuvirth is making the most of this most recent opportunity. After losing three games in a row, Neuvirth oddly put together two straight no-decisions* and then this current three-game streak in which he’s allowed just five goals on 85 shots.
It’s a small sample size for a guy who’s still just putting up “average NHL goalie” numbers (9-9-3 record, .903 save percentage and 2.83 GAA), but considering the Caps’ far-from-certain playoff future, a little goalie competition could be a great thing.
* -On Feb. 20, Neuvirth allowed three goals on 33 shots against the Carolina Hurricanes. On the other end of the neutral appearance spectrum, Neuvirth stopped all 14 of the Ottawa Senators’ starts on Feb. 22.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 14
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 10
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 25
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11