Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, that might still be the case. Still, it’s hard to ignore the fact that Neuvirth has been the starter in every game during the team’s current three-game winning streak.
As CSNWashington.com’s Kellie Cowan points out, Neuvirth is making the most of this most recent opportunity. After losing three games in a row, Neuvirth oddly put together two straight no-decisions* and then this current three-game streak in which he’s allowed just five goals on 85 shots.
It’s a small sample size for a guy who’s still just putting up “average NHL goalie” numbers (9-9-3 record, .903 save percentage and 2.83 GAA), but considering the Caps’ far-from-certain playoff future, a little goalie competition could be a great thing.
* -On Feb. 20, Neuvirth allowed three goals on 33 shots against the Carolina Hurricanes. On the other end of the neutral appearance spectrum, Neuvirth stopped all 14 of the Ottawa Senators’ starts on Feb. 22.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 1
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 20
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 39
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)