Feb 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
In the grand scheme of things, that might still be the case. Still, it’s hard to ignore the fact that Neuvirth has been the starter in every game during the team’s current three-game winning streak.
As CSNWashington.com’s Kellie Cowan points out, Neuvirth is making the most of this most recent opportunity. After losing three games in a row, Neuvirth oddly put together two straight no-decisions* and then this current three-game streak in which he’s allowed just five goals on 85 shots.
It’s a small sample size for a guy who’s still just putting up “average NHL goalie” numbers (9-9-3 record, .903 save percentage and 2.83 GAA), but considering the Caps’ far-from-certain playoff future, a little goalie competition could be a great thing.
* -On Feb. 20, Neuvirth allowed three goals on 33 shots against the Carolina Hurricanes. On the other end of the neutral appearance spectrum, Neuvirth stopped all 14 of the Ottawa Senators’ starts on Feb. 22.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 30
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 14
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 10
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54