Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Last night’s Flyers loss to San Jose saw the Sharks score just one goal but also saw an ugly hit.
Late in the third period, Flyers forward Danny Briere was hit from behind by Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The hit put Briere head-first into the corner boards and down on the ice. Vlasic somehow was not penalized for the hit and as CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports, Briere avoided injury on the play. That doesn’t mean Briere is feeling good about how it went down though.
“I never expected to be bulldozed there. It was scary. I was fortunate that it wasn’t worse that it was.
“I was just lost there. I kinda flipped around. I was dizzy there for a couple of seconds. I had no clue what happened.”
The Flyers are fortunate Briere isn’t hurt as he’s had concussion issues this year. Of course, concussions don’t always make themselves known immediately either.
As for the hit itself, see for yourself courtesy of CSNPhilly. This seems like the sort of play that would get Brendan Shanahan’s attention.
Update: Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News says there’ll be no hearing for Vlasic.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)