Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Last night’s Flyers loss to San Jose saw the Sharks score just one goal but also saw an ugly hit.
Late in the third period, Flyers forward Danny Briere was hit from behind by Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The hit put Briere head-first into the corner boards and down on the ice. Vlasic somehow was not penalized for the hit and as CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports, Briere avoided injury on the play. That doesn’t mean Briere is feeling good about how it went down though.
“I never expected to be bulldozed there. It was scary. I was fortunate that it wasn’t worse that it was.
“I was just lost there. I kinda flipped around. I was dizzy there for a couple of seconds. I had no clue what happened.”
The Flyers are fortunate Briere isn’t hurt as he’s had concussion issues this year. Of course, concussions don’t always make themselves known immediately either.
As for the hit itself, see for yourself courtesy of CSNPhilly. This seems like the sort of play that would get Brendan Shanahan’s attention.
Update: Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News says there’ll be no hearing for Vlasic.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)