Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 AM EST
Last night’s Flyers loss to San Jose saw the Sharks score just one goal but also saw an ugly hit.
Late in the third period, Flyers forward Danny Briere was hit from behind by Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The hit put Briere head-first into the corner boards and down on the ice. Vlasic somehow was not penalized for the hit and as CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports, Briere avoided injury on the play. That doesn’t mean Briere is feeling good about how it went down though.
“I never expected to be bulldozed there. It was scary. I was fortunate that it wasn’t worse that it was.
“I was just lost there. I kinda flipped around. I was dizzy there for a couple of seconds. I had no clue what happened.”
The Flyers are fortunate Briere isn’t hurt as he’s had concussion issues this year. Of course, concussions don’t always make themselves known immediately either.
As for the hit itself, see for yourself courtesy of CSNPhilly. This seems like the sort of play that would get Brendan Shanahan’s attention.
Update: Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News says there’ll be no hearing for Vlasic.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 17
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5