Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT
Last night’s Flyers loss to San Jose saw the Sharks score just one goal but also saw an ugly hit.
Late in the third period, Flyers forward Danny Briere was hit from behind by Sharks defenseman Marc-Edouard Vlasic. The hit put Briere head-first into the corner boards and down on the ice. Vlasic somehow was not penalized for the hit and as CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio reports, Briere avoided injury on the play. That doesn’t mean Briere is feeling good about how it went down though.
“I never expected to be bulldozed there. It was scary. I was fortunate that it wasn’t worse that it was.
“I was just lost there. I kinda flipped around. I was dizzy there for a couple of seconds. I had no clue what happened.”
The Flyers are fortunate Briere isn’t hurt as he’s had concussion issues this year. Of course, concussions don’t always make themselves known immediately either.
As for the hit itself, see for yourself courtesy of CSNPhilly. This seems like the sort of play that would get Brendan Shanahan’s attention.
Update: Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News says there’ll be no hearing for Vlasic.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)