Feb 29, 2012, 11:46 PM EDT
Considering the magnified scope that naturally comes with playing in Toronto, it’s easy to roll your eyes at the latest bit of hysteria from Maple Leafs fans.
You’d have to be a sadist not to feel for them a bit at this point, though.
It appeared that the 2011-12 season would break Toronto’s post-lockout playoff drought for quite some time, but it’s looking more and more like the flawed but (formerly?) fun team will fall short again. Worse yet, they’re falling apart in about as ugly a fashion as one can imagine.
Blowing the lead
A night after inspiring the latest round of “Fire Wilson” chants, it seemed like Toronto was primed to do something fairly impressive: bouncing right back a day later to beat the Chicago Blackhawks. The Buds latched onto an early lead and built it up to 3-1, but of course it couldn’t be that easy.
Chicago stormed back to score the next four goals before Mike Brown scored a garbage goal with four seconds left to make it 5-4.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The Maple Leafs are now 1-9-1 in a harrowing 11-game span, placing them in the thick of the East’s outside-the-playoff mud:
8. Washington: 69 points (19 games remaining)
9. Winnipeg 68 points (17 GR)
10. Toronto: 65 points (18 GR)
11. Tampa Bay: 64 points (19 GR)
12. Buffalo: 62 points (20 GR)
13. Carolina: 61 points (19 GR)
14. Islanders: 61 points (19 GR)
15. Montreal: 58 points (18 GR)
Toronto also faces eight of its next 11 games on the road, so life could get that much more miserable for the mopey Maple Leafs.
The Blackhawks aren’t out of the woods in the West, but with 75 points in 65 games played, they’re comfortably in the playoffs – even if remaining at sixth place is far from guaranteed.
I don’t think it’s a leap to say that Toronto fans would gladly accept dealing with such a “predicament.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)