Feb 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets are fighting for a playoff spot. They’re well into the mix in the Southeast Division race and are threats for the eighth spot in the East as well. For this team, however, they could be looking at this season as a “last roundup” of sorts.
As Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press reports, the Jets have seven players that could be unrestricted free agents after this season. Jim Slater, Chris Mason, Tanner Glass, Kyle Wellwood, Tim Stapleton, Randy Jones and Mark Flood. While they could be seeking new contracts, they’d much rather try to get the franchise back to the playoffs for the first time since 2007 in Atlanta as Slater tells Tait.
“I like that… less distraction is better,” said Slater. “Obviously we’ve got a job to do here and we’ve got to put our best foot forward day in and day out. That’s what the summers are for, those negotiations, and right now it’s about getting this team to a place where we want to be.”
The Jets have played well in their first season after relocation and while a lot of those players may not be attention grabbers on the free agent market, getting this team into the postseason will do nothing but help their case for a new deal.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)