Feb 29, 2012, 10:52 AM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets are fighting for a playoff spot. They’re well into the mix in the Southeast Division race and are threats for the eighth spot in the East as well. For this team, however, they could be looking at this season as a “last roundup” of sorts.
As Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press reports, the Jets have seven players that could be unrestricted free agents after this season. Jim Slater, Chris Mason, Tanner Glass, Kyle Wellwood, Tim Stapleton, Randy Jones and Mark Flood. While they could be seeking new contracts, they’d much rather try to get the franchise back to the playoffs for the first time since 2007 in Atlanta as Slater tells Tait.
“I like that… less distraction is better,” said Slater. “Obviously we’ve got a job to do here and we’ve got to put our best foot forward day in and day out. That’s what the summers are for, those negotiations, and right now it’s about getting this team to a place where we want to be.”
The Jets have played well in their first season after relocation and while a lot of those players may not be attention grabbers on the free agent market, getting this team into the postseason will do nothing but help their case for a new deal.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)